Author Topic: Tape Sucks!  (Read 9992 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Tape Sucks!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 10:15:01 AM »
If I were going tapeless the only way I would do it is the EZ frames.  I bought a bunch of statics the last few months to fill the void in screens that I couldn't stretch and I've always had some statics in here in some capacity or another.  I won't get into the argument of rollers versus static because I've used them fairly regularly side by side for about 10 years and I know the benefits and reasons for using each.  And nothing I say will do much to persuade anyone who is doing their own thing.  The only way they're going to know the difference is to use them side by side and compare them with a decent degree of scrutiny, or high standards.  It's up to the individual on whether or not you will live with each one's pros and cons.  Each shop can do what they want and that's that.         
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 10:30:49 AM »
If I were going tapeless the only way I would do it is the EZ frames.  I bought a bunch of statics the last few months to fill the void in screens that I couldn't stretch and I've always had some statics in here in some capacity or another.  I won't get into the argument of rollers versus static because I've used them fairly regularly side by side for about 10 years and I know the benefits and reasons for using each.  And nothing I say will do much to persuade anyone who is doing their own thing.  The only way they're going to know the difference is to use them side by side and compare them with a decent degree of scrutiny, or high standards.  It's up to the individual on whether or not you will live with each one's pros and cons.  Each shop can do what they want and that's that.       

Tape-less:roller - most difficult, rare would be the shop that has needs and processes that put that to great use
Tape-less:EZ/stretch your own statics - I assume that would that require applying your own blockout?
Tape-less:static - should come correct for a reasonable price from your maker

am i missing anything obvious?

Offline richard@national

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 09:21:56 AM »
We have actually taken a bead of the adhesive and ran it on the inside of the frame instead of the caulk. It leaves a much smaller bead if any at all and helps adhere the mesh to the frame. We have not had any problems doing that so far but we just started trying that a few weeks ago.

Offline shurloc

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 03:24:14 PM »
Not to drag up this oldie but goody again here, but we've started running our M3 Endurance Panels and would love some feed back on them if anyone is interested. We only have 23x31 M3 available at this time, but MZX will be one of the next ones up. If anyone is interested in getting a sample panel to try these out, please shoot me an email - ron@shurloc.com and I'll get some headed to you as quick as we can.

Thanks!
Ron
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 04:21:48 PM »
Tapeless rollers are achievable, but you just need to go to 25x36" for regular sized prints. Get a wide scoop coater, put the image on in the right spot and there is never any ink getting on shirts here.

With a 16" squeegee and plastisol, it is easy to achieve tapeless rollers.

Anything larger than about 14x18" would need to be taped.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 10:39:29 PM »
Tapeless rollers are achievable, but you just need to go to 25x36" for regular sized prints. Get a wide scoop coater, put the image on in the right spot and there is never any ink getting on shirts here.

With a 16" squeegee and plastisol, it is easy to achieve tapeless rollers.

Anything larger than about 14x18" would need to be taped.

We are printing more h2o ink then plastisol these days so for us due to ink properties not possible. I wish there was a tape less roller option out there. Newman told me at iss they are working on some options so hopefully that’s the case. S mesh on new mzx rollers is the best combo out there imo.
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 08:43:15 AM »

We are printing more h2o ink then plastisol these days so for us due to ink properties not possible. I wish there was a tape less roller option out there. Newman told me at iss they are working on some options so hopefully that’s the case. S mesh on new mzx rollers is the best combo out there imo.

Why the MZX and not rollers on all sides?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 08:54:20 AM »

We use 4 Roller MZX frames. They are a little lighter than the M3's and less expensive. Much higher than 30N and the frame will start to bow due to the smaller tube diameter. But with S thread it doesnt matter since they don't get that high.

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 01:24:42 PM »
I agree danny, with a short bodied plastisol, you dont have issues with ink moving around.

Waterbased, or thinner inks would not go over well haha

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 03:14:41 PM »

We use 4 Roller MZX frames. They are a little lighter than the M3's and less expensive. Much higher than 30N and the frame will start to bow due to the smaller tube diameter. But with S thread it doesnt matter since they don't get that high.

Ahhhhhh *light bulb moment*  No Square backs.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 04:22:32 PM »
I emailed right away on this but agree that it's doubtful that tapeless rollers can be achieved with wb. 

If someone came up with a way to do it I'd be first in line to try it but over 10yrs or pondering how to do it and I still can't say if it's even possible.    Especially so given the way we print wb/dc/hsa here- it's all max speed double stroking with a large amount of ink in the screen.  If there were a weak point in the barrier the ink would get to it.   For a discharge happy shop like ours that's a lot of shirts in the tester bin potentially by the time someone catches the first DC leak at the back of the dryer. 

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 04:36:45 PM »
I emailed right away on this but agree that it's doubtful that tapeless rollers can be achieved with wb. 

If someone came up with a way to do it I'd be first in line to try it but over 10yrs or pondering how to do it and I still can't say if it's even possible.    Especially so given the way we print wb/dc/hsa here- it's all max speed double stroking with a large amount of ink in the screen.  If there were a weak point in the barrier the ink would get to it.   For a discharge happy shop like ours that's a lot of shirts in the tester bin potentially by the time someone catches the first DC leak at the back of the dryer.

Same story here.... We are doing more and more wb, d charge, hsa...... We have a 6 month plan here right now to phase out all plastisol inks as its so difficult trying to run both types under the same roof.

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 04:49:53 PM »
Not only is this a HUGE issue for us, (one of the main reasons why we switched) but our rollers and the I-Image, did not see eye to eye.

Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 06:34:28 PM »
Eric,

Just curious as to why your rollers and I image don't jive together?  We used to have a little problem with that until we started ordering our panels with the corners cut.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 07:02:13 PM »
Eric,

Just curious as to why your rollers and I image don't jive together?  We used to have a little problem with that until we started ordering our panels with the corners cut.

having to tape up the corners for WB/DC was a huge time suck, and issue.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285