Author Topic: Another one... How would you print this?  (Read 1218 times)

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
Another one... How would you print this?
« on: June 09, 2017, 02:21:17 PM »
This one is going on a heather charcoal shirt...

Thanks for all of the insight, and help.  You all are amazing!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Another one... How would you print this?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 02:27:50 PM »
I wouldnt print this "as is" on a dark heather unless they insist.  I would encourage them to change the navy text to white for sure.  As for the fading shapes, I would probably suggest using two blues and using a combination of halftones in the base and mixing the blues to imply the sort of fading to dark effect.  The darkest shape would end up just being the darker blue with no base, then for each brighter shade use some percentage of white and one or both blues.  Front lightest blue would be solid base, next might be 65, then 30, etc.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 06:55:05 PM »
How much flexibility do you have for ink colors?  Do you need to hit pms colors?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 10:40:21 AM »
Yikes, depending on the customer's expectations that print has potential to be a huge time consumer.  If they expect all of the blue shades to be precise to a pantone book then best of luck to you.  We've done similar jobs like this and I've always opted to not use halftones and shading to create the parts in this print that would be the area stacked on the other.  But if you don't have enough heads to do that then halftones are your only option.  Throw an underbase in there and you'll need a good artist to put that together for you. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 10:59:18 AM »
Halftones= multiple tries depending on how accurate you need to be. 7 color shades of blue.

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 12:33:53 PM »
Sorry I am just getting back to this.  We are not required to hit all colors accurately, but they do not want the look of the halftones.  They brought us a shirt from a previous printer, and I told them I will do it in 6 shades of blue. 
They are happy to let us do it that way, and pay for it.  So this will now be a 6/6 shirt. Pray for me.

Ill post my results when we are finished.

Thanks everyone!!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 12:37:27 PM by im_mcguire »