Author Topic: DIY Compression Lid for exposure  (Read 1765 times)

Offline sbrown

• Verified/Junior
  • Chico California
DIY Compression Lid for exposure
« on: March 18, 2017, 02:31:48 PM »
Frog - What "foam thickness" would you recommend for the compression jig?? Would 2" be slightly not tall enough you think? I was guessing 3", but not sure.
New to screen printing, here to learn as much as possible from seasoned printers :)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: DIY Compression Lid for exposure
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 03:50:31 PM »
It would depend on the denseness of the foam, but probably at least half again as much as the depth of your screens.
The more pressure, the more contact, but of course, if you went crazy with it's thickness, you'd break the glass.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline sbrown

• Verified/Junior
  • Chico California
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 05:22:31 PM »
Thanks, I went with 2" since in person 3" was definitely going to be way too thick.
New to screen printing, here to learn as much as possible from seasoned printers :)

Offline heray11

• Verified/Junior
  • Howard Ray 713 344 8604 man6of10@yahoo. for svc
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 11:28:57 PM »
 Do yourself a favor.  Get a spray bottle and wet your screens after exp them  it looks like your washout boot is close to the outside.  as soon as there exposed.
 I would go and find a old ice box and trun it into my screen storage and white ink storage.
  and you could put a few beers and ice for after work. it will give the kids a space for their drawings for daddy
  Howard Ray 713 344 8604     howards services....Ex workhorse/tuf products tech  26 yrs
Experienced on Tuf olys,Javs,freedoms, Sabres elec dryers f/b and exp units
 For quoays em man6of10@yahoo.com of call 713-344-8604
   Happy New Year

Offline sbrown

• Verified/Junior
  • Chico California
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 02:49:44 PM »
Frog -
Is there a previous thread describing the details of how to build that compression jig that you shared a picture of a while back???... Id like to build one, but just going off the picture is a little vague. It seems simple enough but would beneficial to have a little more detailed information.

Best
Shaun

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 03:05:44 PM »
Frog -
Is there a previous thread describing the details of how to build that compression jig that you shared a picture of a while back???... Id like to build one, but just going off the picture is a little vague. It seems simple enough but would beneficial to have a little more detailed information.

Best
Shaun

Nope, back when I made that pic many years back, it just stood by itself as the foundation of a DIY project, obviously requiring some basic woodworking skills.
Do you have  any idea at all how to get going?
Can you figure out a way to make a wooden frame that secures the piece of glass? That may be the most important part because it has to handle the stress.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?