Author Topic: Garage Split Topic that got messed up  (Read 4732 times)

Offline sbrown

• Verified/Junior
  • Chico California
Re: Garage Split Topic that got messed up
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2017, 12:38:40 AM »
Frog, I was wondering... what would be your recommended "go-to" screen meshes to always have on hand?? Im obviously just getting started, but its clear the more mesh options you have the better so Im curious on your thoughts...

Thanks,
Shaun
New to screen printing, here to learn as much as possible from seasoned printers :)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2017, 05:24:12 AM »
160 and 200 take care of a lot of jobs for me, also printing manually.
Of course, the more you have total, the more room you have for some more variety.
You may be interested in this old poll and thread that shows that most of our members have at least 50 screens.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline sbrown

• Verified/Junior
  • Chico California
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2017, 11:50:24 AM »
Thank you for the tip Frog!
New to screen printing, here to learn as much as possible from seasoned printers :)

Offline sbrown

• Verified/Junior
  • Chico California
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2017, 12:56:21 PM »
Hey guys, I have a couple questions regarding preparation and cleanup...

1. After washing out your design following exposure and letting your screens dry, is it recommended to wash the screen off once more with a cleaning chemical or just water before printing? ( I work in my garage, and even though I strive to keep my area clean dust still does make its way onto things eventually )
2. After printing a job, what is the recommended procedure for cleaning up plastisol inks from your press and screens?

UPDATES:
I emulsified and exposed my first 4 screens which went pretty darn well for a first try!
Application to my very first screen was a bit of a mess as I haven't dialed in the intricacies of the process but I quickly got better as I moved through each screen.
For the time being until I can build a drycab, I pinned some heavy moving blankets around my cart to keep it light safe during drying.... I let them dry for a full 24 hours which seemed to do the trick. I used a board and piece of foam underneath my screen (until I can build a compression jig) to create a little better positive contact which amazingly seemed to render really defined results... I was expecting much worse tbh. I also dialed in exposure time on my first screen with a calculator so the following screens were a breeze. My films turned out pretty good too considering Im not running any special rip software or all black ink system, however I did notice a small issue with ink just slightly being printed on the very corners of my films for some reason... haven't solved what the reason for that is yet, but it did cause some pinholes that I will either have to block out or tape.

All in all though, so far I feel like Im off to a good start.

Thanks for your time!
-SB
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:01:23 PM by sbrown »