Author Topic: stealing our logo  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
stealing our logo
« on: June 16, 2017, 03:12:26 PM »
we had a designer make us a logo.
http://imjustcreative.com/portfolio/t-shirt-express
years ago.

3 years ago there was a coffee shop in eastern Europe that was embarrassed to find out that the guy they "paid" had just reworked our logo. i'm not a huge defend art rights guy and thought it funny more than anything else. we tried to get them to re-enact Monty Python's dead parrot sketch as a form of payment/permission, but it never happened.

now it's just going everywhere. and that's just searching our own (admittedly not-so-great) name, so it's probably much further afield with other names attached.
I called the guy in Cali using it and he said he'd take it down. who has experience here, what is worth bothering about, what's not, how far do you go?

the real one. https://www.facebook.com/tshirtexpressmtvernon/

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: stealing our logo
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 05:49:10 PM »
What was your contract with the original artist/designer?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 12:41:29 PM »
As you say, it's not the most original idea, so a lot of folks could come up with the same thing. It looks like they took some stock clipart and put the words in, though it's well done. I'm not sure it's really worth chasing it down.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 07:33:04 AM »
I agree that this one is hard to point a finger because of the idea.

'Anything Express' just screams train to me. If I had 30m to do a logo (looks like these guys did them real quick) i think it's likely I'd end up with a locomotive reference in there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »
As you say, it's not the most original idea, so a lot of folks could come up with the same thing. It looks like they took some stock clipart and put the words in, though it's well done. I'm not sure it's really worth chasing it down.

it is, quite literally, original art.   

I agree that this one is hard to point a finger because of the idea.

'Anything Express' just screams train to me. If I had 30m to do a logo (looks like these guys did them real quick) i think it's likely I'd end up with a locomotive reference in there too.

everyone's a critic  ;)
it's harder to make a "looks simple" logo than you guys are suggesting.
and there has been zero clip art going on here. follow the first link - EVERY logo i posted here is a LITERAL lifting of my logo (or the pieces and parts and early iterations of the design process - all in the first link).
no one "had the same idea" they ALL went to mine or the designer's page and lifted the work.

i feel like you're missing my point.
anyone have experience telling people to STOP using their art/logo? I am not Disney, I will not be suing, but I want to come off sounding like I would do just that.

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 09:09:33 AM »

i pay him. he makes a logo. it is mine. (he has permission to use it on his site, which is where it's been lifted from).

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 09:24:58 AM »

i pay him. he makes a logo. it is mine. (he has permission to use it on his site, which is where it's been lifted from).

And he did a nice professional job, plainly a pro who knows how to use his tools. I wasn't trying to demean it, but he could just as easily uploaded it to an art site for resale.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 09:28:30 AM »

And he did a nice professional job, plainly a pro who knows how to use his tools. I wasn't trying to demean it, but he could just as easily uploaded it to an art site for resale.

Steve

i am all together too trusting, but no, that's not happening here. he was in fact the first one to contact us that he'd seen the logo he designed for us out in the wild and "what would we like to do about it?" He makes big bucks designing logos, the fivver stuff is beneath him personally and financially