Author Topic: Testing Epson 7900 without spending $$$$ on ink  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Hey Monkey

Testing Epson 7900 without spending $$$$ on ink
« on: June 17, 2017, 10:58:28 PM »
So I have and almost too good to be true deal for an Epson 7900. Cheap enough to not even think twice and take the gamble. Guy just wants it gone. Is there any way to test this thing (print heads) without spending $1000 on ink? I want to use to for both film and color printing.

Good non-Epson brand ink for it that won't break the bank maybe?

Offline Hey Monkey

Re: Testing Epson 7900 without spending $$$$ on ink
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 09:39:25 PM »
Thought I would bump this and see if anyone has some thoughts...

So I got a damn near brand new Epson 7900 for $130. Older photographer fellow traded it out to someone for some construction work. He cleaned it out and locked it up tight before giving it over. I would love to get this thing in working order without spending $1000 on ink to find out if it runs well. I was willing to take a $130 gamble and am willing to spend a couple hundred more if need be before dumping a ton into 11 ink tanks

A few questions...

• Best place to get refillable carts and bulk ink for this printer?
  • Can I just run the two (or one) black channel for printing just films for now and then add colors later?
  • If I do that what do I put in the other slots so the printer fires up correctly?

Thanks all!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 09:51:01 PM »
I like Cobra for refillables, CIS, and/or ink
https://www.cobraink.com/
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Hey Monkey

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 09:53:53 PM »
I use Cobra for my 1100 and my 1400/1430. I don't think they carry the tanks for this model. I will check again though!

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 11:29:51 PM »
I have a set of these carts incoming now.

http://stores.ebay.com/oauq7794?rt=nc&_from=R40&_trksid=p2056350.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC2.A0.H0.Xepson+7900+.TRS1&_nkw=epson+7900+&_sacat=0

This is the best price I have seen. About to try to flush a 7900 that has been sitting for a while. Ink change/ initial fill program should hopefully push enough fluid through to clear it out clear it out.

We run a 7600 currently with cheap refill carts from Hong Kong. They work great, just dont remove them. K and LK channels print film ink, the rest have DIY cleaning solution to keep things clear. Filmdirectonline.com has good, well priced dye based ink that we have been using for years.

Offline willy35

• www.broceliande-serigraphie.com
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 03:46:54 AM »
With a RIP you can assign ink printing to the channel you want, so if you have 1 or 2 stuck channels you can print your film.

For photos, if you have missing channel, you will have to clean it,
sometime a simple head cleaning can solve it, or you can soak the printhead overnight with a piece of cotton cloth with cleaning solution,
sometime you will need to remove and flush the head,
and sometime you will have to change the head and dampers !

You can found cheap ink cardridge on aliexpress, it is better to get an other set of ink chip.

www.broceliande-serigraphie.com
San Gen Shugi - real place (Gen-ba), real part (Gen-butsu), reality (Gen-jitsu)

Offline domineight

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 05:12:36 AM »
Watching with interest. I'm in the same boat, just bought a replacement 4880 that hasn't seen any use for 3+ years.
Fortunately it comes with a ton of new unopened inks in both 110 and 220ml. These inks are old though, between 2009-2012.

What can really go wrong with unopened ink? Probably a lot, but I'll find out.

Offline Hey Monkey

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 05:09:12 PM »
I have a set of these carts incoming now.

http://stores.ebay.com/oauq7794?rt=nc&_from=R40&_trksid=p2056350.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC2.A0.H0.Xepson+7900+.TRS1&_nkw=epson+7900+&_sacat=0

This is the best price I have seen. About to try to flush a 7900 that has been sitting for a while. Ink change/ initial fill program should hopefully push enough fluid through to clear it out clear it out.

We run a 7600 currently with cheap refill carts from Hong Kong. They work great, just dont remove them. K and LK channels print film ink, the rest have DIY cleaning solution to keep things clear. Filmdirectonline.com has good, well priced dye based ink that we have been using for years.

Let me know how those carts work out. That is an amazing price!

Offline Hey Monkey

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 05:11:40 PM »
With a RIP you can assign ink printing to the channel you want, so if you have 1 or 2 stuck channels you can print your film.

For photos, if you have missing channel, you will have to clean it,
sometime a simple head cleaning can solve it, or you can soak the printhead overnight with a piece of cotton cloth with cleaning solution,
sometime you will need to remove and flush the head,
and sometime you will have to change the head and dampers !

You can found cheap ink cardridge on aliexpress, it is better to get an other set of ink chip.

Awesome. I will be flushing everything and then do that with the blacks. I will be getting a resetter chip for sure.

Offline Hey Monkey

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 05:12:06 PM »
Watching with interest. I'm in the same boat, just bought a replacement 4880 that hasn't seen any use for 3+ years.
Fortunately it comes with a ton of new unopened inks in both 110 and 220ml. These inks are old though, between 2009-2012.

What can really go wrong with unopened ink? Probably a lot, but I'll find out.

Almost the same boat. Best of luck to you!

Offline Hey Monkey

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 05:40:21 PM »
UPDATE:

Got the 7900 all setup. Powered on great, gave me missing Maintenence tank warning. Had a new one and popped it in. Lo and behold there were 8 of 11 carts still full! So I need to buy three carts and then I will give them all good head cleaning, nozzle checks and all that and keep my fingers crossed that this was indeed a too good to be true deal.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 05:57:59 PM »
UPDATE:

Got the 7900 all setup. Powered on great, gave me missing Maintenence tank warning. Had a new one and popped it in. Lo and behold there were 8 of 11 carts still full! So I need to buy three carts and then I will give them all good head cleaning, nozzle checks and all that and keep my fingers crossed that this was indeed a too good to be true deal.

No, I think that you are hoping that the deal was not too good to be true! LOL!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Hey Monkey

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 06:04:59 PM »
Haha, yes that is what I meant.