Author Topic: What monitors for seeing low % and detail shadows?  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
What monitors for seeing low % and detail shadows?
« on: June 22, 2017, 05:44:52 PM »
In search of a good Monitor (for my separation needs). Mac monitor or PC.

For years now, I"v been on a PC and have had many monitors. I've checked these out as best I could and could never afford a very high end ($1000.00) monitor so I don't know if those are really what I need.  Now, I need a nice high end monitor only for the purpose of being able to see the 1-10% ranges of color in a greyscale image. Like in seps. THe opposite of that is when you have a white base on a black background. I don't need that white to be blaring bright white and show every 1% tone and fills in (visually) the shadow tones....like on all of these new monitors. I can't get a good visual like I used to. Calibration Pfft. It's not like it used ot be.

Earlier models of monitors would enable you to see those is like real time or real saturation to the shirt.  These things today, seem more geared for gamers with the monitors geeked out in vivid color and pushed contrast. This works against me.

Anyone using any really good monitors (for that very same purpose)?  What brand?  I'd hate to go again for 2-4 years on a monitor I hate.
LED seems to be the worst. Gives color shifts at different angles. Don't need that.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: What monitors for seeing low % and detail shadows?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 05:55:30 PM »
IPS is really nice and stable across viewing angles.... but like you said.... watching your 2% dots look way, way, way to bright is annoying....

I am definitely following this.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 06:23:57 PM »
Another vote for IPS.  I have a pair of the A- grade LG/Apple displays and they are a ton of bang for the buck, about $4-500 a piece.  If you can deal with the limited connectivity you can save about half the cost of a branded one, but do factor in the graphics card you'll need.

I always thought the issue you describe was a photoshop thing.  I never considered the monitor.  The lack of visual feedback in the 1-10% range drives me nuts.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 06:46:31 AM »
I run 2 of these on my main rig and I love them:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025066
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 08:53:08 AM »
If you want actual color accuracy nothing will beat a calibrated CRT, but since they basically don't even sell those anymore, get an IPS panel with a good rating, and calibrate it using an actual monitor calibrator (not just adjusting brightness etc manually).  I use to have a bookmark that had all the actual tech specs and ratings on the actual panels (not the monitor brand, but the actual brand and model of the panel inside the monitor), but I can't find it at the moment.  Many of the best monitors share the same panels and theyre made by a third party, often brands youve barely heard of...

edit: you might look at photography forums for suggestions as those guys are typically massive monitor snobs :D