Author Topic: Hit it twice?  (Read 918 times)

Offline farmboygraphics

Hit it twice?
« on: June 23, 2017, 06:19:37 AM »
We've used eco print hot peel for years with no problem, we've always pressed it, peeled it, then hit it quick again. I have always felt that the second hit helps set into the material better since you don't have the carrier sheet "holding" it above the shirt. Anyone else doing this? As a side note we've never had anything come back because of peeling.
Tees and Coffee

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Hit it twice?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 08:48:30 AM »
Shouldnt be necessary with proper pressure during the initial pressing.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 10:39:37 AM »
No second hit here....

The 1st hit melts glue as needed to create the bond and set....A 2nd hit can sometime over harden the glue which leads to cracking down the road...Heat press vinyl is "engineered" to a specific application process....I saw a lengthy document on this a few years back from either Stahls or Siser on why you should not go over or under the times, heats, pressures, etc. for heat press vinyl....

I have been following factory specifications for application for over a decade with almost no issues....Works for me so I am sticking with it....

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 11:45:55 AM »
I was actually taught to hit a second time with a cover sheet after peeling the carrier, and Diane at CYW,  also recommends it with the print and cut she does for me. That said, with my normal cad-cut, I often get lazy and skip it.
However, a second pressing with different cover sheets can also alter the surface of the vinyl a bit.
This morning, I pressed some Easy Weed, peeled, and re-pressed a few seconds with baking parchment to increase the texture from the fabric's mesh surface. (I think that the baking parchment is so much thinner than the carrier sheet, it helps this process).
Teflon sheets are often billed as "producing a more screen print-like finish", and Diane and I have also worked with actual texture-producing sheets similar to ones used by upholstery repair folks trying to match original grain.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 12:36:33 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?