Author Topic: Rip to Tiff compatible with a Mac  (Read 2015 times)

Offline SI

• !!!
Rip to Tiff compatible with a Mac
« on: June 27, 2017, 05:12:45 PM »
We recently bought a used Douthit machine.  before we were using an M&R I-screen 1rst gen.  With it being based off of an Epson 9880 printer I was able to use Accurip straight from my laptop to the CTS.

With the new Wax printer I have to jump through some hoops to get images on to the machine, its very time consuming and I am trying to find a way to automate the process of what i need.

Essentially what i would like is a rip that outputs from illustrator, to a bmp Tiff file.  and it has to work with Mac.  All of the suggestions I have been given are windows base. 

Just curious if anyone knows of a rip that works with Mac that saves as a BMP tiff

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
Re: Rip to Tiff compatible with a Mac
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 05:32:57 PM »
We have the rip for our wax dts on a mac. Fusion harlequin RIP... Pricey as all get out though

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 10:34:04 AM »
if you're converting the seps to individual bitmap tiff files, I'm assuming you are setting the halftone info when you convert. If you have a simple solid one color graphic, (which is what those bitmapped files are) how does it load into the printer? From Illustrator? Or can you upload the saved file to the printer directly? And have you contacted Douthitt?

Steve

I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline SI

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 04:40:07 PM »
Yes each file is saved individually, and I either run the halftones in ultraseps or convert to halftone screen in photoshop.

I mainly work in illustrator, I have been in contact with Douthitt and their rip is more expensive than the Harlequin that Danny mentioned.  I am thinking at this point the Harlequin is most likely the way I will be going.  for now it isn't too awful, but once we start hitting 40-50 screens or more a day ill have to make a decision due to the amount of time wasted in my current process.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 06:08:09 PM »
We recently bought a used Douthit machine.  before we were using an M&R I-screen 1rst gen.  With it being based off of an Epson 9880 printer I was able to use Accurip straight from my laptop to the CTS.

With the new Wax printer I have to jump through some hoops to get images on to the machine, its very time consuming and I am trying to find a way to automate the process of what i need.

Essentially what i would like is a rip that outputs from illustrator, to a bmp Tiff file.  and it has to work with Mac.  All of the suggestions I have been given are windows base. 

Just curious if anyone knows of a rip that works with Mac that saves as a BMP tiff

Look into SCRIPTS.  Mac is known for working with scripts really well. Once the art is completed and ready to print, you can click the script to do all of the normal steps you do. As long as the process is a repeatable process, should be no issues. (e.g), Drop file into folder, (that folder is assigned to open all file sin folder, separate, send each color as a bpm to a destination folder.  I know of a few shops that have automated this way using Mac, but they were also sending to the I-Image and ripping there.

Many of customers who have had wax machines and now have gone to I-Image, felt the same fear you are having. the Wax machines were making use of tif's but it happens to be, that the I-Image also lets you use old files of bmp's/tiffs. THe down side to Tiffs is that a job may have 8 colors and each color comes in as a single file. WIth the I-Image RIP, you send one file, and all separations can be nested in that one folder. So you send only one.
We would create a folder in the I-image rip...and drop all previous files into that folder for tiffs. That folder was assigned to re-orient the file. Not re do it, but but rotate, flip, etc.  The I-Image RIP is low cost, compared to others, but it's very easy to use. I doubt you can get access to use it with the wax machine tho. I think it's proprietary to DTS  I-Image.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 06:14:31 PM »
The real question is, why didn't you get the rip when you got the Douthit??

If the other company got a new machine, they should've got a new rip as well, you should just be tracking down the USB dongle for whatever rip the previous place had, and use that.

For our Spyder it is Harelquin RIP, and I think it is like $2k, we tried to add the ability to print from our RIP direct to our Epson 9980, and they wanted like another $2k so instead we got Accurip for that printer so we can control ink levels.

Offline markdhl

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 06:23:33 AM »
You can get the tiffs from Photoshop or the better option is to get the rip (harlequin based) with work flow direct from Douthitt.

Call me direct to discuss.

Mark Diehl
Douthitt
313 515 8635