Author Topic: Anybody using www.separo.io?  (Read 6407 times)

Offline BorisB

Anybody using www.separo.io?
« on: June 28, 2017, 02:45:17 PM »
Title says it all. Opinions? Experience?

Boris

Offline ffokazak

Re: Anybody using www.separo.io?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 04:44:46 PM »
Free trial, I signed up. Cloud based seps???

Will update with our findings

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 05:17:18 PM »
I am trying a simple photoshop design I made up a few years ago.

They apparently only want Illustrator or eps files.....  They did not like photoshop or tiff files.

I will see when its all done as well.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 05:27:08 PM »
Did one sep... Not a lot of control... dos everything automatically.

Plus is it is all cloud based, so its accessible.

Downside is minimum 100$ per month, can't really justify that cost to have seps done without much control...

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 05:39:40 PM »
It feels like an index separator..... but you don't get to pick your color pallet.

I don't like the lack of control, or the colors it decides for you if you want color reduction.  I have a red/pink shade that would have to be in this design and it does not show up as an option until more colors are picked.

This design I uploaded fyi, I seped out as a base white/red/yellow/highlite white on black.  They need much more work for the front end user controls.

I do like that it recognizes pastel/lighter color shades though!
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 10:22:22 AM »
try this
www.inkseps.com
'have not tried it yet, but it looks promising from my conversations with Tom.

Let me know what you guys think.

pierre

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 10:30:18 AM »
Won't that be tough to evaluate a test drive without their proprietary inks?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 10:50:05 AM »
Won't that be tough to evaluate a test drive without their proprietary inks?

that's what I thought too, though indeed, it is pretty interesting. I will say that I've just separated a job using Sim Seps from our fellow board member Jay Kay. It was very fast, and very easy to use, I'm hoping to go to press with a 9 color tropical birds design by the end of the day; considering they are due tomorrow, that's probably a good idea...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 10:55:38 AM »
I would imagine you can get close with some stock inks.  I am thinking about buying the complete starter set of gallon inks.  I am sure I can use those inks elsewhere.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 11:09:38 AM »
I would imagine you can get close with some stock inks.  I am thinking about buying the complete starter set of gallon inks.  I am sure I can use those inks elsewhere.

Hey, the worst that can happen is that you end up with eight gallons of "Repla Gray"  ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 12:51:48 PM »
If you don't frequently do separations, the best separation services are

http://www.myseps.com - $15 per color
https://dottonedesigns.wordpress.com - $15 per color (Dan you still doing these?)
http://netseps.com - Ranges, the more you do the cheaper they become

Why fiddle around and take hours trying to learn how to separate, use ultraseps (We have a copy of this), higher an expensive in house separator (usually with an ego)

Sub it out, charge your customer $20 per color, and be productive in all that time you are loosing and putting out mediocre prints to "save a buck"

Just my two cents, personally we have a Separator with an Ego, UltraSeps, but the best results we get, no fuss on press, and my "artists" that are half the wage of my "separator" can email a file, get a DSC back, while being productive on other tasks.  Our in house separator is due to retire next year, then we are going full sub out.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 01:39:51 PM »
I'll throw Joe Doria out there. Absolutely one of the top guys out there. Does sim pro work daily for music and entertainment industry but can do anything and is just affordable as anyone. He charges per hour in 15 min increments. I'm personally not a fan of seps in a can but they have their place and keep getting better.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 02:08:48 PM »
I'll throw Joe Doria out there. Absolutely one of the top guys out there. Does sim pro work daily for music and entertainment industry but can do anything and is just affordable as anyone. He charges per hour in 15 min increments. I'm personally not a fan of seps in a can but they have their place and keep getting better.

can verify, Joe is the best.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 02:15:42 PM »

can verify, Joe is the best.

Now now now,  don't hurt my feelings like that. ;)

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 02:20:12 PM »
If you don't frequently do separations, the best separation services are

http://www.myseps.com - $15 per color
https://dottonedesigns.wordpress.com - $15 per color (Dan you still doing these?)
http://netseps.com - Ranges, the more you do the cheaper they become

Why fiddle around and take hours trying to learn how to separate, use ultraseps (We have a copy of this), higher an expensive in house separator (usually with an ego)

Sub it out, charge your customer $20 per color, and be productive in all that time you are loosing and putting out mediocre prints to "save a buck"

Just my two cents, personally we have a Separator with an Ego, UltraSeps, but the best results we get, no fuss on press, and my "artists" that are half the wage of my "separator" can email a file, get a DSC back, while being productive on other tasks.  Our in house separator is due to retire next year, then we are going full sub out.

Yes,  I'm still a separator with ego included. LOL.
I am still doing seps evenings and weekends, but not taking on too much.  I'm balancing my day job and family life a little more these days but my regular peeps know they can still get good work from me.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850