Poll

Which of these methods do you use the most?

Laser transfer
0 (0%)
Screen printing
25 (42.4%)
Sublimation
3 (5.1%)
Vinyl
10 (16.9%)
Embroidery
15 (25.4%)
DTG
5 (8.5%)
Other (Please specify)
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Which printing methods do you use the most and why?  (Read 1543 times)

Offline SA_Matt

Which printing methods do you use the most and why?
« on: July 06, 2017, 04:18:32 AM »
Hi All,

I know most of you probably use a few of these printing methods (I have set the maximum votes to 3), but I was wondering which you use for the bulk of your garment work, and the reasons for this (e.g. cost, reliability, ease of use).  I would be interested to know which you prefer for large and small jobs, and particularly interested about your thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of sublimation, vinyl and laser transfer work.

Thanks for your help. :)

Matt

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Which printing methods do you use the most and why?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 09:39:03 AM »
You list laser transfer though I bet that inkjet transfers are way more common.
I used to use CLC transfers, but was dependent on the machines of others.
When I went Inkjet for films, I also switched to Inkjet transfers. They certainly fill the niche for the one-offs I'm often asked for
I do understand that you are involved with the specialized laser end, but for me, and my small operation, inkjet with it's smaller investment and reasonable and plentiful third party consumables was a no-brainer.

I still have a package of Phototrans CLC Transfer papers available for someone with the right machine.

Oh, you may be interested in a similar poll we recently ran to find out what our members offer, but it's in a section restricted to full members which you will become when you reach ten posts.
http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,20619.0.html
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:52:18 AM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline SA_Matt

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 09:48:34 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  How do you find the durability of inkjet compared to the CLC (and any other transfers you may have used)?  What were the pros to switching apart from not being dependent on others' machines?

Thank you for that link, useful stuff.  :)

Matt
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:01:14 AM by SA_Matt »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 10:04:58 AM »
First off, I resist transfers on dark, which limits my business and I realize is one of the cool things your company offers. In fact, you may want to post some information in our Industry News and Product promotion section.
I suppose, that if I had a CLC anyway, I might have stuck with laser transfers, and perhaps even dabbled with some of the specialized transfer materials offered by your and other companies.
However, the durability and softness I get on lights with something like Jet Pro Soft Stretch are really impressive with very little investment, and I have hundreds (if not thousands) of satisfied end-users.
To tell you the truth, It's been too long for me to be able to do a side by side comparison.

Offline SA_Matt

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 06:00:12 AM »
Do you resist dark transfers because of potential issues with colour vibrancy, or is it something else?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 09:26:37 AM »
We screen print mostly, but can do transfer work when it's called for, we've cut and weeded vinyl names forever, and farm out embroidery. But in house, it's 99% screen printing.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
Do you resist dark transfers because of potential issues with colour vibrancy, or is it something else?

Mostly due to the inherent lack of suppleness especially for full sized prints, with inkjet and print-and-cut vinyl, the two methods available to me, I don't like selling something I don't like wearing.
Fact is, at least for my market, I lose very few jobs. 

Offline SA_Matt

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 11:15:23 AM »
We screen print mostly, but can do transfer work when it's called for, we've cut and weeded vinyl names forever, and farm out embroidery. But in house, it's 99% screen printing.

Steve

Have you had any experiences with laser, or is it purely vinyl transfers that you deal with? 

Matt

Offline domineight

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 11:50:51 PM »
70% plastisol transfers and maybe 15% each of print and cut vinyl digital and direct screenprint. I'm convinced the DST system is what I should be doing so those figures will likely change when I get around to taking that, or the equivalent of that system on. I'd like to have a small embroidery operation to supplement the screenprint operation, I'm indecisive about what that should look like, and it's a way down the track anyway for now.

My work is all low quantity, repeat order, fast turnaround.

Offline SA_Matt

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 06:23:45 AM »
70% plastisol transfers and maybe 15% each of print and cut vinyl digital and direct screenprint. I'm convinced the DST system is what I should be doing so those figures will likely change when I get around to taking that, or the equivalent of that system on. I'd like to have a small embroidery operation to supplement the screenprint operation, I'm indecisive about what that should look like, and it's a way down the track anyway for now.

My work is all low quantity, repeat order, fast turnaround.

How do you find plastisol compared to vinyl, does it have a nicer feel?  And how do they compare cost wise for low quantities?

Thanks

Matt