Author Topic: Epson 4880 Maintenance Tank won't reset?  (Read 1562 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Epson 4880 Maintenance Tank won't reset?
« on: July 06, 2017, 10:54:13 AM »
Any idea what might cause the maintenance tank to stop working with my chip resetter?  Ink carts are still resetting fine, so I don't think it is the chip resetter itself.  I feel like I read somewhere that they can only be reset a finite amount of times, but I unless that number is like a dozen or so I can't imagine I've hit the limit.  Can the chips just straight up fail?  Would there be any way to actually troubleshoot the issue? If not, what's the cheapest/quickest place to get a replacement chip or replacement tank?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Epson 4880 Maintenance Tank won't reset?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 11:03:15 AM »
Any idea what might cause the maintenance tank to stop working with my chip resetter?  Ink carts are still resetting fine, so I don't think it is the chip resetter itself.  I feel like I read somewhere that they can only be reset a finite amount of times, but I unless that number is like a dozen or so I can't imagine I've hit the limit.  Can the chips just straight up fail?  Would there be any way to actually troubleshoot the issue? If not, what's the cheapest/quickest place to get a replacement chip or replacement tank?
I've had chips fail before. ebay is cheap, if you need it overnight, I can pull out one of ours and have you order the replacement. sorry, don't have any extras, but I can afford to have our backup printer down for a few days. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline willy35

• www.broceliande-serigraphie.com
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 12:46:57 PM »
ink chip failure is very common issue, always have a set in advance...

You can try to clean the ink chip with isopropyl alcohol, sometime it works.

The cheapest and quickest here :
http://www.dtgprinterparts.com/non-oem-epson-7800-9800-7880-9880-maintenance-tank-chip?search=maintenance%20tank
http://www.dtgprinterparts.com/maintenance-tanks-for-epson-model-printers?search=maintenance%20tank
www.broceliande-serigraphie.com
San Gen Shugi - real place (Gen-ba), real part (Gen-butsu), reality (Gen-jitsu)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 08:45:07 AM »
a new maintenance tank is only $20.00 I'm pretty sure...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 10:16:42 AM »
Update:  In an effort to save money I have bought two of these chips from two sources, and both times they have been the ink cart chips, not maintenance tank chips.  The image in the link provided by willy35 also shows an ink cart chip, not a maintenance tank chip, even though it is being sold as the latter.  Not sure why this seems to be difficult to source, but at this point, probably just going to buy OEM...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 10:20:47 AM »
FYI, our Epson has a different resetter for the carts and the tank.  I would be willing to bet it's the resetter.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 10:29:18 AM »
Try speaking with Ross at http://www.inkjetcarts.us/.  He has always been helpful in the past.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 10:46:06 AM »
Not the resetter.  We have two in shop and have used them multiple times to reset the tanks.  Found the OEM on amazon with same day shipping for $35.  Not bad and I will have it this afternoon.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 11:01:40 AM »
I could never get my tanks to reset. If you find chips online that are resettable post back up. I should probably do this as I don't have a spare at the moment. My ebay refillable ink carts came with extra chips but (knock on wood) they have always reset without issue.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 11:15:44 AM »
This reminded me that $10 is pretty cheap insurance and that I should order some spares. ;)

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 11:17:14 AM »
Agreed. I think I'm going to order some spare parts as well. Can't hurt to have a capping station and maybe some dampers in the event of a mega clog or dry spell.

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 06:56:38 PM »
I use the same resetter for both the carts and the tank, but the tank is a pain. It's a pain the line up and takes several attempts to reset. So if you're in a pinch maybe just give it another shot.

As mentioned though a spare tank is crucial and cheap insurance. I order everything from https://www.sign-in-china.com and make sure to keep an extra tank and extra set of cartridge chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 10:39:10 PM »
Got the tankd and no chip issues. Have never had issues with either 4880 tank in the past, and the tank chips had been reset a bunch of times without issues, then suddenly just wouldn't reset. Non OEM replacement chips weren't actually tank chips for whatever reason, and we're identical to cart chips.