Author Topic: Pantone has some new colors?  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Pantone has some new colors?
« on: July 11, 2017, 05:41:51 PM »
a customer sent an order in, with these PMS callouts, PMS 3591C Blue, and PMS 3517C Red... the 35x series are greens as a rule. I checked the Pantone site, and these numbers and colors are correct. I don't think our matching system, Union's, will have this, since the last we checked, they have none of the  digit colors. I was able to put the RGB values into PS to get equivalents, which are 2747 for the blue and 485 for the red. How do you folks handle this? I guess it's time for a new PMS book so we can at least eyeball it...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Re: Pantone has some new colors?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 05:54:25 PM »
rutland control group(poly one) mixing software has under mixo 3590c, 3596c 3599c

Shane

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 08:18:21 PM »
We buy fresh books annually.  For this reason and because they do degrade.

While it's nice to have some expansion of colors, the addition/removal of them is a drag.  So is the fact that none of the books are in numerical/sensible order anymore. 

Any respectable ink co. will provide you a pms formula within about 24hrs for any color not in the mix system.  That's been our experience with both Rutland and Wilflex (who are one and the same now anyways I suppose...).

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 08:58:09 AM »
we disassemble ours and put them in numerical order.

I've heard some complaints from this years books that the paper is really thin, i have a set from last year, is this the case?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 09:19:08 AM »
We buy fresh books annually.  For this reason and because they do degrade.

While it's nice to have some expansion of colors, the addition/removal of them is a drag.  So is the fact that none of the books are in numerical/sensible order anymore. 

Any respectable ink co. will provide you a pms formula within about 24hrs for any color not in the mix system.  That's been our experience with both Rutland and Wilflex (who are one and the same now anyways I suppose...).

Yeah, we hated the books being out of numerical order, but at least there is an index... and thanks, I'll get in touch with Union to see if can provide the formulas.

Steve

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 09:26:50 AM »
we disassemble ours and put them in numerical order.

I've heard some complaints from this years books that the paper is really thin, i have a set from last year, is this the case?

Yes. Just a got a new set. First time I'd seen the non-numerical arrangement (what are they thinking???). The pages are thin enough that it seems it might subtly affect color appearance, depending what's under the page. And they feel flimsy, like they could tear.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 10:23:25 AM »
So, I wrote to Union, and they said they'd have it for me either today or tomorrow, that's great service...

Steve

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 11:24:49 PM »
Just got the new books myself.   Yea, sucks. I bet they change that up real soon.  I hope.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 08:55:11 AM »
I received the formulas very quickly, but was told that the base colors could only get so close. I used the problem colors RGB values in PS, and came up with 485 red and 2747 blue, the end user is good with it. But the service from Union was very good.

Steve

Offline Jay Kay

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 10:12:11 PM »
I don't like the new chromatic arrangement either. You know what makes even less sense than numerical order? At first they put the index in the middle of the book. Some people I've talked to didn't even realize there was one to locate a color's page. At least on my more recent color bridge, they moved the index to the back.