Author Topic: CMYK print fading after first wash?  (Read 1786 times)

Offline tse1990

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
CMYK print fading after first wash?
« on: July 14, 2017, 12:28:54 PM »
We did a CMYK test print that turned out great but after taking it home and washing it in hot water and regular drying, the print faded. We used epic inks and had our gas dryer set to 370-4*. Printed on white gildan 2000s.

It should be noted that the shirts washed in cold/cold and cold/warm are holding up much better. But you can't control how people wash their clothes. Is there a way to prevent fading? What happened?

Thanks!

Offline zanegun08

Re: CMYK print fading after first wash?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 12:32:15 PM »
I may just be making things up because I haven't done a ton of CMYK ( I want to try those new WOW Virus where they do the separations )

But it could be more of the shirt is fibrillating through the print, making the faded look.  Have you tried the same thing on a tighter / ring spun, more wash fast tee to see if you get different results?

Also another thing is you could lay down a barrier base white, or clear base, which is also supposed to help with dot gain.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 01:21:57 PM »
I may just be making things up because I haven't done a ton of CMYK ( I want to try those new WOW Virus where they do the separations )

But it could be more of the shirt is fibrillating through the print, making the faded look.  Have you tried the same thing on a tighter / ring spun, more wash fast tee to see if you get different results?

Also another thing is you could lay down a barrier base white, or clear base, which is also supposed to help with dot gain.

I thought that fibrillation is generally when unprinted fibers come up through a plastisol layer. With waterbased inks, those fibers should be dyed due to the inherent penetration.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 01:32:25 PM »
We did a CMYK test print that turned out great but after taking it home and washing it in hot water and regular drying, the print faded. We used epic inks and had our gas dryer set to 370-4*. Printed on white gildan 2000s.

It should be noted that the shirts washed in cold/cold and cold/warm are holding up much better. But you can't control how people wash their clothes. Is there a way to prevent fading? What happened?

Thanks!
No, you can't control how they wash them but you can always point out the care instructions on most labels.
Though I still didn't think that a warm wash should fade cured ink.

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 02:34:58 PM »
I'd say you are seeing fibrilation.  One thing to note with the inks and chemistry that they are translucent and your probably using 305's because of the detail.  So your not going to see the same results as say printing a red through a 150 on a white shirt.

If your looking for a way to prevent it one trick is to print a clear base over it or use Faux transfer.  This will basically seal the print.  Good luck but don't go beating your head off the wall over something that really can't be controlled once it leaves your shop.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 03:44:38 PM »

I thought that fibrillation is generally when unprinted fibers come up through a plastisol layer. With waterbased inks, those fibers should be dyed due to the inherent penetration.

Somewhat true although epic inks are plastisol

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 03:51:08 PM »

Somewhat true although epic inks are plastisol

Yeah, brain fart, Caught that after the fact as well. I focused on the reference to Virus.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:37:27 PM by Frog »

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 04:24:26 PM »
Thats OK Andy, its Friday ;)

Offline tse1990

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 09:57:03 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far! Interested in trying a clear top coat the next time to see what happens.

Offline tse1990

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 10:25:24 AM »
I'd say you are seeing fibrilation.  One thing to note with the inks and chemistry that they are translucent and your probably using 305's because of the detail.  So your not going to see the same results as say printing a red through a 150 on a white shirt.

If your looking for a way to prevent it one trick is to print a clear base over it or use Faux transfer.  This will basically seal the print.  Good luck but don't go beating your head off the wall over something that really can't be controlled once it leaves your shop.

Unless it fades on 'em en masse and they want their money back  :-\

This is hypothetical. It would be great if we could sell cmyk prints to customers and get better at it!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 10:57:06 AM »

Unless it fades on 'em en masse and they want their money back  :-\

This is hypothetical. It would be great if we could sell cmyk prints to customers and get better at it!

I might also consider keeping a sample print and laundering it a few times following the label's care instructions, and see if there was a big difference with one (or many) they bring back for this problem. Heck, you may even want to consider including a small insert of care instructions like I do with inkjet transfers

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 11:14:05 AM »
The print is still there, it's just under the fuzz.  A top clear on it would help a bunch.

White ink has really good matte down properties, so overprint it in white.  ;)