Author Topic: Compact Washout & Reclaim Area  (Read 2904 times)

Offline Prince Art

Compact Washout & Reclaim Area
« on: July 14, 2017, 12:47:38 PM »
When looking for a way to wedge an auto in our tiny shop, I decided to redesign our washout area to free up some floor space. Since I benefitted from ideas shared in the past by others here (and elsewhere), I figured I'd share, in case it can spark ideas for anyone else.

I can't recall everywhere I got inspiration from; but I know the idea for the board to drain reclaimer back into the tank came from some shots or video from Greg Kitson. So thanks there!

The dip tank is actually bigger than we need. But, it's the right profile for this design, so it's what I used. (It holds 6. I cycle 3 at a time, and keep 3 meshless old frames in for displacment.)

The tank is on wheels, and the drain board is on hinges. When in use, tank rolls out, lid hangs on tank frame, and drain board swings so that it rests inside the tank. When not in use, lid is replaced, tank rolls back, and drain board rests on top.

The upper rack angles back, and the screens are placed in to lean face forward. So, everything drains to back, lower corner of the screen, into a channel at the back. Channel drops into gutter, gutter to drain hose, which empties into sump tank.

For washout, we close the black curtain on the right. It follows a track in a reverse "L", and closes about 18" to the left of the sink – just enough room for our screen cart. (Screen cart is also DIY, and carries 8 screens standing vertically.)

Washout workflow: Pull screen from cart; mist; rack left to right. After all are misted, pull from beginning, wash out, replace on rack. (Can move to main racks on right when space is needed. But when the load is small, we just go straight outside to sun for post expose.)

Reclaim workflow: Pull from "dirty" main rack into tank; tank to drain board; reclaim @ sink; rack left to right. Rotate to "clean" main rack after drain rack fills. Every time a screen moves forward, another takes its previous position.

When not in use, this setup claims very little floor space. Which is good, because our press is only a few feet away!
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Prince Art

Re: Compact Washout & Reclaim Area
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 12:48:33 PM »
A few more pics.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline BrazosDesigns

Re: Compact Washout & Reclaim Area
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 10:42:03 PM »
Nice work.  I just ordered the same dip tank, well, because it was the same price as the smaller one.....except for the extra 3 gallons of Supra I had to get.

If you would, show a couple of pictures of the washout booth.  I need to get creative in redesigning my area and yours might be the right idea for me.  Thanks!