Author Topic: fitting dots around a circle  (Read 3745 times)

Offline rmonks

• !!!
fitting dots around a circle
« on: July 14, 2017, 10:16:51 PM »
Any corel users have any quick tips on how to place a string of dots around a circle. I have attached a sample of what I need to accomplish.
Thanks

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: fitting dots around a circle
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 01:08:45 AM »
Make it into a brush?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »
Search terms like "step and repeat," "align and distribute," or "align and position." I use Illustrator, not sure the term in CorelDraw. May need something like "align to path," create an invisible circle, and distribute objects evenly around the circle. (I have to search it & find a tutorial every time I need to do this - I always forget the exact steps.) Pretty sure Corel has tools for doing this simply.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:24:01 AM »
I draw the main Circle (red), draw the 2 smaller circles you want to go around the large circle, group them, click to get the rotation option, grab the center marker and drag to the center of the large circle, then I rotate the the 2 smaller circles and copy when it looks like its spaced evenly and then I just repeat (ctrl+r) until it copies all the way around the circle. Of course I often have to do it multiple times to figure out the correct spacing. I'm sure there is an easier way, but that is what I resort to

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 11:22:20 AM »
Draw your main circle, then draw the smaller circles and use the blend tool.  maybe make it around 30-40 steps.  On the bottom of the blend docker they is a squiglly line with an arrow, that will allow you to place those dots on the circle. Once that is done you can choose to blend it along the full path.

You will have to drag the original circle around to make it line them up better and you might have to add or subtract objects.

Offline Catnhat

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 03:21:10 PM »
There's an Oberon Macro for doing just this kind of stuff.  I think it's about $5 for the registration/unlock code

Fit Objects to Path

https://www.oberonplace.com/products/fitobjects/

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 05:21:36 PM »
Thanks CatnHat, I think I will order that this evening and give it a try, I finally managed to manually pull this one off, but for future some way of doing this would be great. Thanks again

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 05:41:07 AM »
  There is another way in Corel... Draw your circle, place your lettering cursor on it
and then type a "period" of any font that has a round one. select the font size to
match what you are trying to make and then type periods around until you have
enough. You can then adjust your spacing with the "format text" drop down.

Offline JeridHill

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 09:19:07 AM »
I did a quick video on how to do this, sorry no audio, my mic is not connected.

1. Draw a Circle using the ellipse tool
2. Draw another circle above the first, if Illustrator is set to snap to centers, the ellipse tool should snap to the center of the first circle
3. Select both circles
4. Choose the rotate tool
5. The blue cross hair shows the center of both items. On a PC, Alt/Click or Mac Option/Click on the center of the bigger circle
6. The rotate tool dialog box should open, enter the angle. For the design you show, I counted 32 circles, so I divided 32 by 360 degrees, so I entered 11.25
7. When you click preview it will show you the rotation, if it rotates properly, click on Copy
8. Use hot keys to speed it up, (PC: Ctrl+D, Mac: Command+D), but to find the transform, go to Object, Transform Again, it will repeat the steps you just did
9. Continue using the hot keys until the pattern is complete
10. If you want to keep the inner circle, just click on it one time and Cut (PC: Control+X, Mac: Option+X)
11. Select the other larger circles by clicking and dragging over the line and delete
12. Paste in place, Hot Keys, PC: Shift+Ctrl+V, Shift+Command+V)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1SwONuZT942Q2NMeERpYTRjdk0

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 09:28:36 AM »
  That's why I use Corel. So much more simple than Illy, especially for what most of
us do. If you do need to get fancy, the tools are there also. No monthly fees and it
is not a memory hog.

Offline JeridHill

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 09:37:32 AM »
I come from the old school of Freehand before Adobe bought them. In my opinion, there wasn't an app of the market that could compare in speed and ease of use. I could do things in 1/4 the steps I could in Illustrator. I like Corel, but I'm mainly a Mac guy so I've never taken the time to learn it. I've dabbled on my work PC and know it is simpler in many regards to Illustrator, but on a personal level, I can't use it due to owning Macs.

That being said, If you watch the video, it's less than 1 minute, so even though it shows a lot of steps, I was breaking it down as much as possible and this process really isn't that complicated. In FreeHand, I could Click/Drag around and duplicate, very quickly. Illustrator has more steps than what I could do, but again, I don't think this process is overly complicated, it's more of a matter trying to find all the nuances of Illustrator.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 09:44:38 AM by JeridHill »

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 10:31:21 AM »
Illy ain't bad as you might think, what Monks is trying to do I could do in illy in seconds, but I will say I love doing fonts in corel than I do in illy for sure.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!