Author Topic: Protecting the floor and walls around the washout area  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Maff

• !!!
Protecting the floor and walls around the washout area
« on: July 17, 2017, 02:12:45 PM »
What do you guys use to contain the water on the floor and protect the walls around the washout area?

We are building out our new washout room and we need to put something on the floor to the contain the water that is sprayed back from the washout booth and also from putting screens in and out of the Developer tank and Dip Tank.  We also need to put something on the walls around the area that is somewhat water proof.
The building owner just wants to make sure that nothing is susceptible to getting water in the walls or under the floor to prevent mold (which was a previous issue there)

One idea we have is to find something like those rubber weatherproof floor liners that are made from the inside of cars.  They have a lip on them so it would contain water and could be cleaned up. Just would need to find something similar that is much bigger obviously.

Any ideas would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Protecting the floor and walls around the washout area
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 02:20:33 PM »
we used roll on truck bed liner. works great.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 02:21:46 PM »
We just had a wash out room built for us, we hired it out. What they did was first cut a slit in the concrete floor all the way around for flashing this is to keep water from getting underneath and rotting the wood out. All the framing was done in pressure treated and then cemenet board on the bottom and green board for the rest. They then used installed shower panelling, not sure what its called exactly comes in 4x8 sheets and has tracks for the seams. This was adhered to the sub wall with construction adhesive. Basically now we have a submarine worthy room for all the wet stuff. Since we do not have a floor drain in that area it is necessary for us to keep all the water contained in that area.
"No man is an island"

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 02:33:43 PM »
Since we do not have a floor drain in that area it is necessary for us to keep all the water contained in that area.

Hey Inkman, How do you clean the water out if there is a lot all at once, like if water really splashes out or spills? 

previously we had a drain in the floor so this wasn't much of an issue for us. We will have an exhaust fan in the new room, so that should help, but maybe we should keep a small shop vac in there... and then maybe use that for sucking off water from freshly rinsed out screens (i think read here once that someone does that)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 02:57:02 PM »
Have a mop and ringer right next to the wash out booth, if it gets to heavy on the floor a few swipes with that and your good to go.
"No man is an island"

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 09:00:46 PM »
Go to your local fabric store and buy some of that nice heavy vinyl your aunt Tilley used to protect her new sofa .
It is real inexpensive and you can simply staple it to the wall goes around corners and just hangs around forever!

Ours has been on the wall about 4 years now.
Mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 09:23:04 PM »
we are putting in FRP in our new washout room.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 11:40:03 AM »
we are putting in FRP in our new washout room.
Sorry, but what does FRP stand for?
Thanks!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 08:09:56 PM »
I've found tile to be a quality, long term solution.  There are some pretty nice, but expensive, membranes out there as well.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 09:42:34 PM »
I need a solution for this as well. Tile is not something I really want to get into since I don't own the bldg. Does FRP really just glue to the drywall? Sounds kinda crazy... also sounds like i'll screw something up if I do it myself. How difficult is the install? I need to do this for sure this winter when we aren't slammed. The mold is really starting to creep up here from the constant moisture / high humidity in VA.

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 10:35:54 PM »
http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-ft-x-8-ft-White-090-FRP-Wall-Board-MFTF12IXA480009600/100389836
Oh right, someone else was describing this material to me recently as well.  Apparently it is pretty easy to install. This may be the winner for the walls. 
We're still undecided about the floor. I think tile may be too much work, but then again maybe worth it....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 11:05:42 PM »
I did this in my washout areas a coupla years ago. Works VERY well for water resistance, but it is not very chemically resistant. Most of our ink cleaners are too "hot" and will marr the finish. Don't expect ti be able to just wipe away a stain.

So yeah, very functional but won't stay pretty verty long.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 11:27:46 PM »
Hey Maff, what is your floor made of? We have a concrete one here and have a long way to go if we were to install a real floor drain, but maybe some slots cut out of the floor and covered by a grate would work. My hope is that it would dry out overnight rather than just sit there and stagnate for weeks on end. I wonder how deep they usually pour these concrete floors. Cover it with something like this perhaps? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Spee-D-Channel-2-ft-Plastic-Drain-Grate-241-1/100125814.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 08:28:47 AM »
Thats the stuff we have on our walls FRP. It is easy to install with construction adhesive and the channeling.
"No man is an island"