Author Topic: Avoid PU film damage in wash?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
Avoid PU film damage in wash?
« on: July 20, 2017, 09:36:10 AM »
We're looking at some expensive failures with a PU film applique. The film looks great after application but one trip through the wash leaves them dented and smashed up (PHOTO).

We've just started using these as an alternative to foil so there may be something we've missed when it comes to care instructions. Would love any tips on how to deal with this damage.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Avoid PU film damage in wash?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 09:51:22 AM »
I really can't see the "damage" in your pic, but do find in my own use that vinyl (PU film) has a tendency to hold creases when folded, so, especially with larger areas I often either fold differently, or just stack for clients.
As for laundering, I notice on the tech and care sheet for Sisar Easyweed, they specifically mention that the stuff is "Iron Friendly". So, even though, over the years, I was always a little surprised when folks talked about ironing their T shirts, it appears  that the problem that you are encountering seems to justify it.

Though the trend over the last ten or so years has changed towards "fashion" weights, the  stuff is just not as supple as most inks.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 11:38:22 AM »
Thanks Frog,

The 'damage' is exactly the creases and crunches that the film holds on to. I am guessing this is happening as it's tossed around in the dryer. I will see if an iron helps and also try heat tapping it again to see if it helps.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 11:56:12 AM »
I wonder if foil has similar issues, especially when in large areas.

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 12:18:11 PM »
Never once had the problem with foil and we do loads of it. I think the film is so much thinner it just bends with the fabric.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 01:02:29 PM »
Never once had the problem with foil and we do loads of it. I think the film is so much thinner it just bends with the fabric.
Which I would think is a good thing.