Author Topic: What do you all like for paper cutters for cutting down transfers?  (Read 1483 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Need to upgrade our little guillotine cutters here.  Thinking 24" wide guillotine or rotary like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009UTIP/ref=twister_B01FJHRUW4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

For cutting: plastisol, dye sub transfers and the occasional short run of flat stock.

Thanks in advance.

Offline aauusa

Re: What do you all like for paper cutters for cutting down transfers?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 02:39:57 PM »
this is what we use.  but our we do not care about straight lines as it does not matter once job is done.
http://www.allbrands.com/categories/3135/39251-wbt-1-best-buy-cord-cordless-electric-scissors-she

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 02:42:46 PM »
nothing to add, except, i'm interested in this too, as our big hydraulic paper cutter doesn't work great for this.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »
You know we have a pretty bad ass electric rotary fabric cutter that would work.   

I want to make sure cuts are very square/accurate though for easier alignment at the press, that's why I was thinking rotary or guillotine here.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 03:04:23 PM »
I use an old and super sharp (and dangerous) 24" guillotine.  Tried the rotary cutter and didnt care for it.  Hydraulic would be awesome...if it didnt crush and destroy the transfers.  Not sure how the big transfer shops do it, but might ask one of them.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 03:05:06 PM »
yeah exactly. it always smooshes them. bummerrr
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 03:47:21 PM »
That's the main reason I 86'd the electric guillotine- offset is going to happen on plasti transfers. 

So it basically comes down to the fastest method to slice up 1-5 sheets accurately.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 12:16:23 AM »
I have something very close to this (without the table) that I bought long ago and used only for cutting stacks of vinyl stickers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guillotine-Manual-Paper-Cutter-3971-Heavy-Duty-Finishing-Equipment-Bindery-/252075473485?hash=item3ab0de7a4d:g:hMEAAOSw3ydV5GJV

These operate like electric, but I think you have better control on the pressure and the blade comes down like the big commercial ones with a slight sideways slicing movement.

But then again, transfers may be a different animal, even for this kind.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline domineight

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 04:21:45 AM »
I use an old treadle sheet metal guillotine. Mine has a motor and an adjustable backstop so a nice easy kick slices around 5 sheets nice and tidy.
No clamp so no squashing, just don't chuck to many into it or it'll all slide around as you know.

An old manual treadle has worked fine in the past for me too. Get the blade sharpened once and forget about it for years.