Poll

How many shops here have air conditioning in the production area (autos, dryers, expo unit)?

Yes
12 (33.3%)
No
24 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: August 11, 2017, 12:32:35 PM

Author Topic: Air Conditioning: Production Area  (Read 6715 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Air Conditioning: Production Area
« on: July 27, 2017, 12:32:35 PM »
I thought of having a few more options to vote for but I figure that we can discuss those rather than a simple vote and that will keep my main goal of this poll uncluttered. 

After many years of dealing with the heat it seems like we were on the verge of A/C'ing the shop but I think I need to do a little more work to push this over the edge.  Of course looking to others for their experience and opinions on the subject is always helpful. 

Some background is in order.  It hits 99 at the loading area of the auto usually before lunch most days.  I will admit that many of the things we've done over the years have helped with the heat but working in 100-105 for 6 hours straight every day will wear down even the hardest of people.  I know if it's dragging me down it's probably much worse for the others.  I've lived in it all my life and have been able to just block it out and work as hard in 105 degrees as 75 but it does hurt me once I leave the shop.  5 years ago it was WAY hotter and at the end of the dryer 115 was normal and the area at the presses was usually 110 during the hottest parts of the day.  Right now it's 95 at my desk and it doesn't feel that bad.  We have fans everywhere and overall 5 small portable AC units at the main stations blowing 50 degree air.  Bad part about the portable AC units is around 2-3pm every day it gets so hot that they simply stop blowing cold air and it's just nasty, humid, hot air coming out of them.  We have 2 different brands and 3 different sizes and all 5 of them crap out later in the day.

Of those who don't have AC, do you plan on getting it some day?  Or do you feel that it is a waste of money?  I've had 2 local shops that we do their embroidery look at me like I've got a dildo growing out of my forehead when I tell them we are putting in AC so it's not as cut and dried as I thought it would be.

Thoughts????  OR just vote and leave it at that. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Air Conditioning: Production Area
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 12:55:56 PM »
this is a long and somewhat sore topic for us. The good part is, yes, we do run the AC and when everything is working properly temp maxes out in mid to high 80's.
Problem is that due to the fumes generated by the dryer and flashes, we have to move the air out of the production space so we are blowing most of the cold air out. When the AC is not on, it will be in the high 90's, potentially over a 100, so the difference is very, very noticeable! It does make the working conditions much better and thus the moral and productivity are higher. Our electric bill goes up by more then $1K per month during the summer. That is the bad part, but in reality, the higher productivity does cover it.

Proper way to do it is to install makeup air so the fumes pulled out are not also dumping the cold air out of the space. We started on the install last year (the complete system with makeup air), but is stalled due to press purchases. My estimate on the total cost (not counting the AC we already have) is $12k-$15K. This would be similar to a restaurant setup where you could walk in and not smell anything while the temps are very comfortable.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 01:04:48 PM »
I am interested in this as well, our issue right now is power, we are maxed in our box and we continue to kick that issue down the road but I often consider this.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 01:05:15 PM »
We got lucky as our building was a restaurant before we moved in, water drain vents in the floor in the back and full air throughout the place.  I thought at one time shutting down all the vents in the back and just cool the front but our A/C guy said nope don't do that it would cause a back flow in the system or something like that, but other than that I enjoy having the production shop cool, but we still close the vents above the dryer.  Allan you all which you might have already is fans but I think all that does is move warm air from one spot to the other, plus if you have large open space and bay doors you'll never cool that anyway.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 01:16:41 PM »
Problem is that due to the fumes generated by the dryer and flashes, we have to move the air out of the production space so we are blowing most of the cold air out.

That's the issue I've always seen too. 

I think if you go bananas with makeup air and spot ventilation you can make it work but it's hard to simultaneously feed make up air and vent it out on something like a flash.   I guess it should technically work if the flow is in balance and the placement is right. 

I really want to explore this but without ownership of the site or a very long term lease, no way.  Also, it's difficult to find industrial, quality air mechanical engineers in our area to do the project holistically and correctly.  We do run spot ac units in office and screen room out of sheer necessity.

Pierre what type of ac unit do you use?  I've often wondered if mini splits are the way here.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 01:24:58 PM »
I was told I could ac my 6,300sqft print area for under 20k I was all about it but nobody could get me a straight answer on what the bill would look like and if id see issues like you guys are mentioning with fumes in the area.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 01:27:25 PM »
108 to 110 in my shop from about 2pm on for the past few weeks...

Honestly, I just print earlier and try to finish up earlier.  I know thats how lots of other businesses handle it too, starting at 4am and finishing at noon or 1pm.  Not always doable, but mitigates the heat.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 01:56:40 PM »
i saw these neat things that exchange the air but they have baffles on the inside with a thin membrane that allows the air to equalize in temp so you lose less energy.

I have no idea if they make them for commercial applications.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 03:26:53 PM »
I was told I could ac my 6,300sqft print area for under 20k I was all about it but nobody could get me a straight answer on what the bill would look like and if id see issues like you guys are mentioning with fumes in the area.

I was just informed that the install will be next week :).  We'll see.

Hopefully within a few months I'll get you some numbers.  The 2 units and install was well under 20K, but we're doing minimal duct work.  Our square footage is around 7K with high ceilings and I don't know how the fumes are going to be but I hope with the high ceilings and a ridge vent up there directly above the dryer we can mitigate that.  We also have a ventilation fan on the south side of the shop that pulls air out but I didn't plan on running it for obvious reasons but if we're doing some stanky stuff I'll run it. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 03:39:57 PM »

I was just informed that the install will be next week :).  We'll see.

Hopefully within a few months I'll get you some numbers.  The 2 units and install was well under 20K, but we're doing minimal duct work.  Our square footage is around 7K with high ceilings and I don't know how the fumes are going to be but I hope with the high ceilings and a ridge vent up there directly above the dryer we can mitigate that.  We also have a ventilation fan on the south side of the shop that pulls air out but I didn't plan on running it for obvious reasons but if we're doing some stanky stuff I'll run it.

Report back we are about 6,300sqft out there with 25-30ft ceilings.  Curious for sure.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 03:41:04 PM »
we are almost ready to move into our new facility. 13K sq ft of AC'd space....all i know is our electric bill is gonna be very sad.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 03:56:55 PM »
In Ohio, we installed a exit vent on the roof to one side of the dryer (10 ft away laterally) - keep everything shut except a filtered opening on the wall opposite the fan from the dryer. (sloped roof helps here). we rarely bust over 99, even when it's 90 outside (and also when it's 60 outside :() which I find tolerable. keeps us from sucking it too much dirt and dust, vents the dryer fumes/excess ceiling heat (12' ceilings, 3,000 sq ft). customer meet area and screen room both have window AC units dumping their heat into the production area.

my next step if needed was to investigate swamp coolers, like they use on NFL sidelines. anyone doing that as opposed to Alan's opening the refrigerator door method (you're running window units without exiting the hot air somewhere else??)?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 04:11:03 PM »
We use a restaurant sized swamp cooler here.  Definitely takes the edge off.   Also nice for air exchange.   Your climate needs to be pretty bone dry for it to be effective.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 04:12:32 PM »
Ours works well.  You do need a lot of airflow.

Kitson was amazed at how well it worked in the south here.

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 04:13:33 PM »
 our first year in this building, we didn't have a furnace...that was one cold b*tch of a winter too....summer? you get a fan. piss off... ;D
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...