Author Topic: How does SGIA New Orleans show compare with Long Beach  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
How does SGIA New Orleans show compare with Long Beach
« on: July 31, 2017, 05:55:40 AM »
I usually go to Long Beach, would like to know how the SGIA show compares with LB.
Seems to have a lot of digital, I am mainly interested in Screen printing.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
Re: How does SGIA New Orleans show compare with Long Beach
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 09:27:20 AM »
Maxie: The SGIA does have a lot more content related to graphic, industrial, and digital printing than the Long beach ISS which is 100% focused on the decorated apparel industry.  That's not to say that the SGIA isn't a great show for Garment Decorators, it's just that you need to dig a little deeper to find stuff. One thing that I'd also say about SGIA since the new leadership took over a couple of years ago is that they have really improved their educational programs. 

M&R is planning a huge showing at SGIA this year where we will be exhibiting in three booths totaling 10,500 sq/ft of exhibit space.  We'll be showing a lot of new gear to include: (2) different screen-print / direct to garment hybrid printing systems, a new EcoTex inline screen cleaning & reclamation system, and the full range of M&R / Novus imaging digital graphic inkjet printing equipment. 

For more information about SGIA to include the exhibitor list and floor plan check-out   https://www.sgia.org/expo/2017/exhibitors/2017-sgia-expo-exhibitor-information

Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 09:31:53 AM »
Plus I'll be there. ;)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 10:14:19 AM »
We hopefully should be there, planning on it anyway if nothing happens
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 02:05:57 PM »
We will be there and I see need to carve out more time than usual for the M&R booth.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 02:22:37 PM »
 If anyone has any New Orleans questions we live and work here. Will be at show for sure

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 03:43:06 PM »
We have some really cool stuff in the roq booth going down......

All over printing, foil, flocking, digital hybrid, among lots of other cool stuff.....

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 04:02:01 PM »
I have been to every SGIA show in the past 15 years, THIS ONE, we will be skipping.  Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday is a joke!  Its not catered to us, too hard to break away in the middle of the week.  If they continue this, I would imagine LOTS will be following our lead.  They need to go back to Thursday, Friday, Saturday like it used to be.  Not sure if a rep from SGIA is listening, but I hope they are.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 05:18:58 PM »
I have been to every SGIA show in the past 15 years, THIS ONE, we will be skipping.  Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday is a joke!  Its not catered to us, too hard to break away in the middle of the week.  If they continue this, I would imagine LOTS will be following our lead.  They need to go back to Thursday, Friday, Saturday like it used to be.  Not sure if a rep from SGIA is listening, but I hope they are.

I'd have to check, but from what I remember (from one of the SGIA garment steering committee meeting), this year was an exception and had to do with the space availability. Shows, both dates and spaces are booked already for the next five years! If you really need to know, PM and I'll ask around.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 10:01:58 AM »
I dont know how you guys do it..LOL.. i mean actually going to a show in a great location!

I went to vegas to go to the show, well never made it to the actual show, oh i was there that week..

If i went to N.O. im not sure i can drag myself there.  I guess i do not have my priorities straight!

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 02:58:22 PM »

I'd have to check, but from what I remember (from one of the SGIA garment steering committee meeting), this year was an exception and had to do with the space availability. Shows, both dates and spaces are booked already for the next five years! If you really need to know, PM and I'll ask around.

pierre

Thanks Pierre,

I found out next year they are back to the thurs, Friday, sat. plan.  Much better.  Hope they stay on that path.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 03:03:17 PM »
I dont know how you guys do it..LOL.. i mean actually going to a show in a great location!

I went to vegas to go to the show, well never made it to the actual show, oh i was there that week..

If i went to N.O. im not sure i can drag myself there.  I guess i do not have my priorities straight!

Yeah, a great location will drag us there.  I am in the ATL area and even when it was here, its a big thumbs down from us.  Nothing to do in ATL and people wont come here.  Vegas is great...I like it there.  They should do NYC or Chicago or LA.  But Atl, NO, Orlando, Dallas....not to many wanting to go to those places...IMO.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 03:27:03 PM »

Yeah, a great location will drag us there.  I am in the ATL area and even when it was here, its a big thumbs down from us.  Nothing to do in ATL and people wont come here.  Vegas is great...I like it there.  They should do NYC or Chicago or LA.  But Atl, NO, Orlando, Dallas....not to many wanting to go to those places...IMO.
Hmm New Orleans is a HUGE draw for conventions. Usually you get record turn its for ones that rotate annually. Vegas is similar.

Personally, being from Louisiana I could never go to New Orleans again and be perfectly happy.  8)

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 05:44:44 PM »
I agree with Jason Atlanta sucks been there a few times very boring, Nawlins is pretty cool, yep in the middle of the week sucks but we are going to try and go down for one day, from what I've read sounds like M&R is going to show some really cool stuff, plus Danny's talking about some cool stuff from Rog.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 10:16:28 PM »
Hey, if anyone has questions about New Orleans let me know as we are here. The show will be down the street from the French Quarter, so if drinks and adult fun is your game there you go. Lots of bars and nightlife, and honestly Bourbon Street is not the place to go. Plenty of fun off the beaten path bars in the Quarter that serve cheap beer and drinks for a fraction of the price of Tourist I mean Bourbon Street. Food in the Quarter is pretty bad, even the expensive places are mostly just decent. You are paying for the walking proximity to the bars and your hotel really. But Green Goddess has good food for normal pricing, and Sylvain has top notch food without crazy pricing. Sylvain needs reservations but you can eat at the bar. Green Goddess is first come first serve. But there is a lot more to do such as the Market and honestly just walking along during the day and looking at the history and architecture will take an entire day. In the States there really is no other place at all like the French Quarter of New Orleans. And I grew up in downtown Charleston, SC so I know the difference.

Outside of the French Quarter you have a zillion things. Uptown has fun Magazine Street with shopping, bars, waaaay better food and that sort of thing. You can go over to Freret Street for live shows at Gasa Gasa or more food and drinks. Midcity where I live has City Park, our version of Central Park. You can play mini golf or rent a paddle boat (watch out for gators) or take the train around it. Or walk over to Bayou St John and have a picnic on the Bayou. We live right on it and my wife and daughter do that every weekend when it is not 105 outside haha. Then you have the Upper 9th Ward and the Bywater with great live venues such as Siberia and record stores like Euclid Records. More amazing food and tons of local bars where beer is under $2. Huge water front park that you can walk the length of the Mississippi River back up to the French Quarter.

I can go on and on and on. Anyone has any questions let me know. I will be at the show all day every day making up for Long Beach in January as I could not go. My wife had serious surgery so that came first. And our CTS arrived as well that week so that came second haha! But seriously it can be a fun town and with common sense a safe one.