Author Topic: How does SGIA New Orleans show compare with Long Beach  (Read 4065 times)

Offline DrivingZiggy

Re: How does SGIA New Orleans show compare with Long Beach
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 11:26:14 AM »
Hey, if anyone has questions about New Orleans let me know as we are here. The show will be down the street from the French Quarter, so if drinks and adult fun is your game there you go. Lots of bars and nightlife, and honestly Bourbon Street is not the place to go. Plenty of fun off the beaten path bars in the Quarter that serve cheap beer and drinks for a fraction of the price of Tourist I mean Bourbon Street. Food in the Quarter is pretty bad, even the expensive places are mostly just decent. You are paying for the walking proximity to the bars and your hotel really. But Green Goddess has good food for normal pricing, and Sylvain has top notch food without crazy pricing. Sylvain needs reservations but you can eat at the bar. Green Goddess is first come first serve. But there is a lot more to do such as the Market and honestly just walking along during the day and looking at the history and architecture will take an entire day. In the States there really is no other place at all like the French Quarter of New Orleans. And I grew up in downtown Charleston, SC so I know the difference.

Outside of the French Quarter you have a zillion things. Uptown has fun Magazine Street with shopping, bars, waaaay better food and that sort of thing. You can go over to Freret Street for live shows at Gasa Gasa or more food and drinks. Midcity where I live has City Park, our version of Central Park. You can play mini golf or rent a paddle boat (watch out for gators) or take the train around it. Or walk over to Bayou St John and have a picnic on the Bayou. We live right on it and my wife and daughter do that every weekend when it is not 105 outside haha. Then you have the Upper 9th Ward and the Bywater with great live venues such as Siberia and record stores like Euclid Records. More amazing food and tons of local bars where beer is under $2. Huge water front park that you can walk the length of the Mississippi River back up to the French Quarter.

I can go on and on and on. Anyone has any questions let me know. I will be at the show all day every day making up for Long Beach in January as I could not go. My wife had serious surgery so that came first. And our CTS arrived as well that week so that came second haha! But seriously it can be a fun town and with common sense a safe one.
Don't forget the zoo and aquarium!  Also seems like a trip to Cafe DuMonde is required.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 01:34:40 PM »
best gumbo in town?
best gumbo in walking distance from the show?

I am sure I"ll think of more as we get closer. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 07:18:56 PM »
best gumbo in town?
best gumbo in walking distance from the show?

I am sure I"ll think of more as we get closer. . .

pierre

Those are incorrect questions, but ones you can get an answer to.

New Orleans doesn't have "great" gumbo... But it's got decent gumbo.

Lafayette area on the other hand... Need to make that trip. ;)

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 07:59:35 PM »
If you want a good dark roux no tomato gumbo, which is the better cajun way (as opposed to a New Orleans creole style) then the chicken andouillle gumbo at Mr. B's is very good.  Or you can just come to my house and I'll make you some!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 11:13:03 PM »
If you want a good dark roux no tomato gumbo, which is the better cajun way (as opposed to a New Orleans creole style) then the chicken andouillle gumbo at Mr. B's is very good.  Or you can just come to my house and I'll make you some!

I really should be there to make sure it's authentic. ;)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 11:44:06 PM »
Give me oysters with Tabasco and lemon any time.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Lizard

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 06:48:53 AM »
Man, y'all are tempting me with all this Gumbo talk. But like Gilligan said, for real Cajun food, Lafayette is where it's at.
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 08:20:31 AM »
Yeah, I am going to leave the Cajun food to Gilligan and Screenprinter123 guys and Lafayette food scene in general. New Orleans is definitely Creole. But I am really handy at the local music and bar scene and non "New Orleans" type food. Poor Boy sandwiches and deep fried things are everywhere but there are hidden gems like Bacchanal in the Bywater neighborhood with amazing food and an outdoor stage that has live jazz every night for free. Great food and you pick out your beer and wine by hand at the front and hang out in the back again with great local live jazz and other music. Hard to top and not the Quarter tourist trap stuff.