Poll

How many prints do you put through a screen before you replace or re-mesh?

Less than 20
0 (0%)
20-30
1 (7.1%)
30-40
0 (0%)
40-50
2 (14.3%)
More than 50
11 (78.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: How many prints do you put through a screen before you replace or re-mesh?  (Read 3901 times)

Offline ThePrinter

• Verified/Junior
How many prints do you put through a screen before you replace or re-mesh? Mainly talking about aluminum frames.
Just wanted to see what the general consensus is.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Do you mean number of impressions? It should be in the thousands.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ThePrinter

• Verified/Junior
Yeah impressions/prints. I saw an article from Printwear and the writer was saying "A screen can be used for approximately 20 print jobs before it needs to be re-meshed." Did not sound right to me, that is why I started the poll to see what others say.

link to article:

https://printwearmag.com/features/steps-ensure-easy-reclaim?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20170802%20PW%20eNews%20(1)&utm_content=&spMailingID=17775795&spUserID=MTcxMzkyNDA3ODM2S0&spJobID=1080061984&spReportId=MTA4MDA2MTk4NAS2

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
That would be completely dependent on how large the runs are. I tend to run as few as 12 and as many as 300. Many shops, 300 is chump change.
Do you have a tension meter? Check the screens when new, after the first use, and then monitor them.
Heck, in some folks minds, the average aluminum frame needs remeshing upon arrival!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Don't believe everything you read, especially in Printwear. That statement is blatantly misleading. Its one of the reasons I don't write for them.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Don't believe everything you read, especially in Printwear. That statement is blatantly misleading. Its one of the reasons I don't write for them.

Years ago, when another publication (since defunct) asked me to write about CLC transfers, I realized that they had set the bar far too low.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
I have some that have been with us for 7 years and still put out GREAT prints with them everyday.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
When Mark Buchannan was at the helm he set the bar much higher. He was my editor for over a decade

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
I have screens that have been cycled I have no clue how many times, but they probably have less total impressions than single runs would put on a screen at big auto shops. I think if it's good mesh and you take care of it they don't really have a specific life.

Offline aauusa

that's like asking how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop.  :)

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager

*crunch*
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?

1, 2, 3 crunch, most of you can see the commercial in your Mind's Eye...
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Yep, that is way too "in general" .  The screen could be done in 1 job if the run was in the thousands or 200 or 300 jobs if all of them were 12 pc runs.  Then there is mesh types to consider.  The best way like mentioned before is a tension meter. 
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
They retire themselves by breaking at some point, there is no set number.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
How many prints.... until the mesh rips or the newtons are to low to keep even a single print flash print registration print
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!