Author Topic: Venting my Econored II 30  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Hey Monkey

Venting my Econored II 30
« on: August 05, 2017, 11:41:04 AM »
Hey all -

I need to get my dryer vented. An EconoRed II 30. It sit right up against the outside wall to the shop (concrete block). The landlord said I can punch through that no problem but just keep it high enough for no one walking by to get any funny ideas about messing with the vent/tossing something inside etc.

Who would I call to vent? HVAC company? Gen Contractor? Should I do rigid or flex pipe? add any kind of fan to draw the heat/fumes up and out?

I poked around previous posts and got some inkling but thought I would post my specifics.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Venting my Econored II 30
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 12:06:10 PM »
I've alway called a sheet metal guy to make the vents, then hang them myself, but I'm getting a little old for that, so I don't see why an HVAC guy couldn't do the whole thing for you. If you can go straight up to the roof, that's usually better than putting a 90° angle in the pipe (air flow restriction). We currently have to go out at an angle, but our building is being sold, and the best of the new spaces we've looked at will allow us to go straight up...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Hey Monkey

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 12:32:57 PM »
I have to go through the wall. They won't let me punch through the ceiling. Boo.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 12:40:08 PM »
inline fans can certainly help with restricted flow
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 01:17:30 PM »
I have an old, old Vastex Econored

Attached is the shroud (basically an upside down box) I built just using A/C 1 inch insulation backing (foil on 1 side) board and their silver backed tape and a tub of the goop that hardens when dry.  All from local HVAC Supply house.  Got a transition from HD and attached flex tubing out the wall.  The solid tube is from the Vastex exhaust and the flex tube runs to a small bathroom fan that gently pulls air from all around the Vastex to the outside.  No need to have a strong fan.  The shroud extends about 2 inches outside all the sides of the Vastex to pick up escaping heat from all around.  Took about an hour to assemble and very light to put in place, just a bit bulky and needs 2 people to set it up.

The shroud sits on top of a two cut 2x4s near front and near back (see picture below) stacked in such a way the air can pass through to the on top transition.

If this is a way for you to go and you need more info, just let me know.

By the way, using a temp gun, the temp on that back wall by the outlet from the Vastex dropped about 25 degrees.

Update.  Forgot to add that I did have to cobble an extension to the crank handle to get through the shroud to raise or lower the panels.

Have to add.  Glad I don't have a more current picture.  It makes one hell of a place to stack squeegees, tape, rulers, t-square, etc. on top as does not get hot, lol.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 01:38:58 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 11:28:51 AM »

Yes, we have 2 in ours, about 12 feet apart. I was taught way back that every elbow adds about 6 feet, pressure wise. We had a dryer that kept overheating the main panel and shutting down. Once we eliminated some of the elbows, it was fine.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Northland

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 01:33:23 PM »

Yes, we have 2 in ours, about 12 feet apart. I was taught way back that every elbow adds about 6 feet, pressure wise. We had a dryer that kept overheating the main panel and shutting down. Once we eliminated some of the elbows, it was fine.

Steve
And, two 45 degree elbows are less restrictive than one 90 degree elbow.