Author Topic: Lets talk Jumbo printing  (Read 2117 times)

Offline LoneWolf2

Lets talk Jumbo printing
« on: August 06, 2017, 08:50:41 PM »
So i'm getting more and more requests to do "jumbo" printing with some of the contract work I have coming in, but what is actually considered jumbo to y'all?

For those that do offer it, what is your printing size(s) for jumbo art?
What screen size, squeegee, pallets, and emulsion scoop size are y'all running?
I would assume there's a premium for it compared to normal print size pricing. What percentage of an upcharge are y'all running?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Lets talk Jumbo printing
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 11:39:36 PM »
Standard M&R pallets 16x22.  Standard frames 23x31.  Our print area is 15x17.  For just dark colors we can go 18.  We try to keep white ink images to 16 tall.

We get almost no request for "over size" past 15 wide.  We sometimes get requests for up to 20' tall.  We will do that on the manual with low color counts.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 06:46:53 AM »
We had M&R do our pallets at 16x25, we can print up to 23h on that without trouble on a 25x36 frame.

Our standard image area is 15x17 on 23x31's.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline domineight

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 11:53:07 AM »
I'm glad I haven't had to for a while, but I ran a sias simplex with a 5 meter OD frame size. 4200x1200mm was the maxed print size from memory. I had a lot of fun running a 4col inline Thieme 5050 with a print size of 3400x1100mm, I think that machine itself must have been 30-35 meters long with both conventional and UV dryers between print stations.

I'm pretty happy now everything is at least under 2 meters.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 12:03:02 PM »
25x36" screens are our bigger size, we only use 23x31" and 25x36".  Print size is up to 16.5"x22".  18x25" platens (might be 24" long).

Unsure on the markup, roughly 15% I think.  It definitely takes quite a bit longer to setup though compared to 'normal' printing.

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 09:26:17 PM »
Thanks for the info so far fellas!

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 10:48:15 AM »
You know how serious your customers are, and with contract customers, presumably they really do want this. But here's 2 cents from my own experience: Back about 9-10 years ago, jumbo printing was all the rage, and I also had a lot of "requests" about it. And I seriously considered getting set up to do it. But along the way, I found that I lost very few (if any) orders by just offering the max "normal" size I could do with a 23x31 screen. In the end, I just stuck with that, and have been glad that I spared myself the expense & trouble of trying to size up in every area necessary to provide jumbo prints. Especially since the "fad" level of interest died down after a couple of years.

So, I'm not saying don't get it into, just saying make sure there's real demand, rather than passing curiosity.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline TORB

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 11:41:58 PM »
Hi there, jumbo prints are not the big deal,  to print a jumbo design I use a 33X24 screen on my Sportsman auto, this allows me to print a 15''X18'' design or 16''X20'' with a Chameleon 14 colors, without any complication.
Just be careful about your estimates, this big prints takes up to 18 grams of ink on each black or dark fabric!!
-Jumbo print is the next size from a regular print(up to 15'' length ), so Jumbo is from 16''to 20'' length . :)
Tell me if this was helpful :)
Best Regards
Fernando Nieto
714 341 7667
The Old Ruler T-Shirt Co.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 04:02:11 PM »
I've done 25x35ish with 36x48 screens.  Sucked because there was so much screen drag. Off a little at the bottom, top was fine or vice versa. We only got paid around 4 bucks print, but customer provided the ink. Maybe a good deal, but was slow. That was printing 5 colors too

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 11:46:25 PM »
We just printed a 4 color 16.5x16.5 image with large open areas on 23x31 screens. Had some oversize squeegees and floodbars we got for cheap from the mclains and cut them down to 17. One screen tore about 1500 pcs in though.

Usuallly I'm with the rest of these guys. 15x17 image and no one really asks for much bigger
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net