Author Topic: proper disposal  (Read 766 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
proper disposal
« on: August 07, 2017, 09:26:31 AM »
As we are cleaning things up, getting ready to move over here, i'm wondering:

What is the proper disposal of 5 gallon Plastisol/DC/HSA ink bucket/containers?

We've been re-using them as waste ink containers, but we are moving away from that, to a more certified disposal system. Which leaves me with tons of these buckets. Some have dried ink, some have ink, so I don't think we can just toss them.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:24:35 AM by ericheartsu »
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Northland

Re: proper disposal
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 11:49:12 AM »
As we are cleaning things up, getting ready to move over here, i'm wondering:

What is the proper disposal of 5 gallon Plastisol/DC/HSA ink bucket/containers?

We've been re-using them as waste ink containers, but we are moving away from that, to a more certified disposal system. Which leaves me with tons of these buckets. Some have dried ink, some have ink, so I don't think we can just toss them.
I purchased a small lab oven ($50) at an equipment sale. For disposal, I stick anything with uncured plastisol (buckets, ink cards, unusable ink, rags ) in it for 10 minutes at 325 degrees. The buckets will sometimes melt pretty good, so I place a foil pan under them... but after 10 minutes, everything becomes hardened plastic.... which is general purpose waste that doesn't require special disposal ( at least that's my understanding ??).

I collect a small quantity of waste and then process it, performing that task in an area with extra ventilation (AKA... the garage)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 12:34:12 PM »
Cure the ink is the general rule then you can dispose normally in most areas.  Our landfill for instance accepts all of our product waste if cured/solid.   Take that same waste and try to dispose of it in liquid form and you have to pay through the nose for the transfer co to do it despite the fact it's not haz.

For everything but plastisol we rinse it, pull the metal handles and recycle all of the bucket's components. 

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 03:26:08 PM »
I purchased a small lab oven ($50) at an equipment sale.

We're plastisol-only, and cure nearly everything before it leaves. Cards, tape, shop towels typically go down the dryer as last task of the day, then I vacate the area while fumes dissipate. I save up a lot of "empties" before doing buckets. In the past, I've built a temporary oven outside with concrete blocks & flash units, and cured/melted. But fivers are new territory for this little shop - I like that lab oven idea.

Wish we could rinse & recycle - much easier!

One way to get rid of old, unwanted ink: offer it for free on Craigslist. Someone may take it. I got rid of a bunch of old sign ink that way.
Nice guys laugh last.