Author Topic: Does this sound like Fraud to you?  (Read 2506 times)

Offline XG Print

Does this sound like Fraud to you?
« on: August 08, 2017, 02:27:46 PM »
I have a customer that has contacted me via text message from our FB page.  They are wanting to ship me 420 shirts and us do a contract print for them and they will arrange for them to be shipped back to them.  First thought was sweet because it is a simple 1 color front / back on white ts.  EASY MONEY but then I started telling him that i could send a PayPal or Square invoice for payment and at first he texted me saying he did not use those services to which I replied we where out of the deal without going through 1 of these 2 services for payment.  He then texted me back and said he could do the Square.  I want to do this job because it is quick easy money but I do not want to get screwed and him dispute the Square transaction once the shirts are on the way back to him.  Anyone been through this.  I feel much more comfortable when I can talk with the person on the phone the first time we do business.  To his credit he did try and call me but I could not hear him and when i called back he had one of those google message things on his phone.  He did send me what seems to be a working gmail address.  Would you guys take a shot and print these or do you think this is Fraud?

Offline KevWilso

Re: Does this sound like Fraud to you?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 02:46:41 PM »
Go with your gut, you are probably right about it.  If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.  If you get a card payment it might be followed with a fraud charge back a month down the road.

Google the phone number, email, etc....  Also make sure his ship from/to isn't a freight forwarder.

The google message when you call them is always a big red flag to me.
Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply 512-454-0505 www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 03:02:43 PM »
99% likely it's a scam. even if you say no, they are gonna keep trying, to sweeten that deal. And ultimately, Kevin is right. You might get cash up front, but later down the road, you are gonna get hit was a CC fraud, and have to pay that money back.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline dsh

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 03:06:04 PM »
I had something kind of similar, and several emails back and forth.  Then the customer wanted to know what merchant service I used for credit cards.  I wrote back this sounds like a scam and I've never heard a word again.  The English was a little off too.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 03:52:30 PM »
Smells a bit...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Croft

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 04:06:36 PM »
if he's a commercial customer , one that is able to send you shirts so he probably has an account at a supplier , send him a customer info sheet that requires address contact info and a couple of trade references similar to what most of the suppliers I and most of us have had to fill out.  Should be able to find out if he's legit.

If he's local I would also deliver myself.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 04:09:26 PM »
Same deal here just yesterday.  The first red flag was he wanted 200 Smalls and 200 Larges with a 1 color logo on front.  I sent a quote to which he replied that he would need me to ship using a specific carrier to the bahamas.  He wanted me to revise to include shipping.  He of course wanted to use a credit card.

I just responded to him that he would need to add $1000 to the quote for shipping and he could just send a cashiers check for the amount and that after it cleared that we would proceed with the order.  That was the end of the emails.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 04:12:52 PM »
......SCAM....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 07:55:19 PM »
I have a customer that has contacted me via text message from our FB page.  They are wanting to ship me 420 shirts and us do a contract print for them and they will arrange for them to be shipped back to them.  First thought was sweet because it is a simple 1 color front / back on white ts.  EASY MONEY but then I started telling him that i could send a PayPal or Square invoice for payment and at first he texted me saying he did not use those services to which I replied we where out of the deal without going through 1 of these 2 services for payment.  He then texted me back and said he could do the Square.  I want to do this job because it is quick easy money but I do not want to get screwed and him dispute the Square transaction once the shirts are on the way back to him.  Anyone been through this.  I feel much more comfortable when I can talk with the person on the phone the first time we do business.  To his credit he did try and call me but I could not hear him and when i called back he had one of those google message things on his phone.  He did send me what seems to be a working gmail address.  Would you guys take a shot and print these or do you think this is Fraud?
Customers who say they don`t use PayPal obviously have no idea that they do not even need a PayPal account at their end but just a credit card to settle a PayPal invoice/money request. So yes this sounds all very dubious to me.
Anyway, how often do you guys in the States get a honest order from exotic locations like the Bahamas or Nigeria?

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 08:12:25 PM »
For us, we've never had an international order.  The guy or gal who knows atleast asked for something to be printed unlike most of the time that they want just blanks 500 of each size.  It really makes it bad for the person that would place an honest order internationally but after all the scammish emails the skepticism is at it's highest.   It's not just in our business for sure.  I had a guy tell me that's in the roofing business that he gets the same emails starting with Dear Sir and stating that they are in need of a perfect roof job etc. and then ends it with the typical "best regards". 
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 08:20:02 PM »
I'm sure there are international orders that are legit. but for most of us small time shops, think about it. Of ALLLL the shops in the world, ..why would they pick YOU, a shop half way across the globe...?...we get this same kind of scam with signs and banners. Usually something religious, in a rush, always talk about payment without ever knowing a price. Sad part is someone falls for it.....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline XG Print

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 08:41:59 AM »
To be fair he is not saying that he needs to ship the shirts over seas.  He says he lives on the north side of Atlanta.  Turns out I have to go up there tomorrow so I am going to see if we can meet up and see where it goes LOL

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 05:03:54 PM »
Never know. We printed a few hundred camo tees and shipped to belieze and it was legit. Guys brother lived here
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 09:14:15 AM »
We would never even entertain an order for contract pricing from someone that contacts us out of the blue with out some type of references.
"No man is an island"

Offline numbercruncher

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 11:37:17 AM »
Just curious  XG - how did the meeting go ?
Michael Jirasek
Independent Consultant
708-227-5084
jirs23m@hotmail.com