Author Topic: Moving on - another Yay or Nay  (Read 6467 times)

Offline Action1

Moving on - another Yay or Nay
« on: August 10, 2017, 06:20:38 AM »
You guys are great for assisting with your valuable input. Thank you very much.. Please help with another 'Yay or Nay'

Here's one that we've been requested to do on numerous occasions. Our latest new machinery enables us to develop these ideas when we couldn't do so easily before.
This is a Screen Divider. You have a screen with two images burned on it. This lets you create a dam so the ink won't get to the back stencil. Where as previously you would have masked off the back stencil, now you don't. This also brings forward the resting position for the squeegee which make's it much more back friendly. You'll be printing quicker and easier.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Moving on - another Yay or Nay
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:00:46 AM »
Not a bad idea...

I can see it for manual presses with back clamps only.  Maybe offer a special with Ryonet.

If you have side clamps on your manual press, bungie cords are quicker and cheaper to run across.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 08:02:34 AM »
We use tape to do this. It's fast and cheap.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 09:04:22 AM »
I did something like this many years ago, but so I could print 2 colors from the same screen (the art allowed for it). Otherwise, I'd tape...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Hey Monkey

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 09:52:26 AM »
I am always down for stuff like this. Sure we can make, tape etc. but this kind of stuff move the needle forward in my mind. I would be game to try it out as I do a ton of double image burns. Couple that with all manual, back clamp only...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 10:27:59 AM »
Great idea for people that are lazy ;D or don't have the creativity, I've did this for years but I would take coroplast and but tape on each side and made dam's, I've even printed 3 colors once in a screen doing this because the art was colored just right for it.  I think for your new printers coming in they would jump all over this for some of us old dogs maybe not so much.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Action1

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 10:54:04 AM »
You guys are great! Thank you so much for your time and attention once again.

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 10:57:30 AM »
Great idea for people that are lazy ;D or don't have the creativity, I've did this for years but I would take coroplast and but tape on each side and made dam's, I've even printed 3 colors once in a screen doing this because the art was colored just right for it.  I think for your new printers coming in they would jump all over this for some of us old dogs maybe not so much.

newbies? yeah maybe, I guess depending on price point. I wouldn't spend over 30 bucks on a product like this I can make out of some bolts and wing nuts.

you guys need to make ink knives. GOOD ones, we can't seem to find an ink knife that is worth a hill of beans. Now that I would pay good money for....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 11:47:24 AM »
would entirely depend on pricepoint and how simple (aka easy to clean) it would be.  For the squeegee holder, think simpler.  Just put a squared "C" shape extrusion straight up on the top so the whole thing is one flat piece of metal or plastic or whatever.  No angles for ink to get stuck in and should be cheaper since no welds are necessary.  I currently use tape for the dam (cheap and no cleanup time), and use a longish $10 toggle clamp attached to one side of the frame for holding my squeegee.  Fast, cheap, no cleanup time since it floats above the tape dam.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 01:34:50 PM »

newbies? yeah maybe, I guess depending on price point. I wouldn't spend over 30 bucks on a product like this I can make out of some bolts and wing nuts.

you guys need to make ink knives. GOOD ones, we can't seem to find an ink knife that is worth a hill of beans. Now that I would pay good money for....

And a good, angles, curved scoop for 1 gallon buckets like this:

but smaller and not as wide, maybe a little longer handle.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 02:20:05 PM »
We use a DIY version of this on our manual press. It makes a huge difference in say, x100 left chest prints. Way less reaching. Two clamps and some aluminum. $15 all in.

If it was less than $50 and the three pieces (bar and clamps) stayed attached we'd be able to put it on quicker. That's about the only improvement it needs as far as I'm concerned. And saving time is the only way I'd see us justifying an upgrade over this current setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 04:21:14 PM »
1 more vote for what's already been said: If you can make a combination squeegee rest/ink dam that is quick to install/uninstall, easy to clean, and easily affordable, then you might onto something. But it has to be affordable to a one-man manual shop who'd like to buy probably 4-8 of them, and who's accustomed to a DIY rest. (We used leftover pieces of baseboard held in place with c-clamps from harbor freight.) Not having to keep track of clamps would be worth something... but I'm going to hazard a rough guess that you'd have to make this work for ~$60 (or less) per unit to interest most manual shops. I doubt I'd pay more than $300 to put them on all six heads of my manual. So... you decide if that's a yea or nay.  ;)
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 09:09:28 PM »
Why are yall using c clamps and aluminum or whatever. Youre over thinking whsts requited to hold a squeegee upright. Just buy these and be done with it: https://m.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-QUICK-GRIP-12-in-Clamp/1205683

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 09:31:59 PM »
Why are yall using c clamps and aluminum or whatever. Youre over thinking whsts requited to hold a squeegee upright. Just buy these and be done with it: https://m.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-QUICK-GRIP-12-in-Clamp/1205683
Too small ain't it? I wonder what size you need for 23x31 frames?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »
That was just a link I found on google. I use longer ones that go across all but maybe an inch of the frame, and I only use 23x31 frames. They have a bunch of sizes at lowes and home depot.