Author Topic: Moving on - another Yay or Nay  (Read 6413 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Moving on - another Yay or Nay
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 09:28:56 AM »
I am with Homer make a damn ink spatula that is worth using. At least for us plastisol users. Everything out there today is wet lasagna after a couple scoops of a thick ink.
"No man is an island"

Offline Action1

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 01:11:44 PM »
I am with Homer make a damn ink spatula that is worth using. At least for us plastisol users. Everything out there today is wet lasagna after a couple scoops of a thick ink.

This is one that we were talking about last week actually. Is this what you have in mind? This is for removing ink from a frame.

Offline Action1

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 01:21:32 PM »
1 more vote for what's already been said: If you can make a combination squeegee rest/ink dam that is quick to install/uninstall, easy to clean, and easily affordable, then you might onto something. But it has to be affordable to a one-man manual shop who'd like to buy probably 4-8 of them, and who's accustomed to a DIY rest. (We used leftover pieces of baseboard held in place with c-clamps from harbor freight.) Not having to keep track of clamps would be worth something... but I'm going to hazard a rough guess that you'd have to make this work for ~$60 (or less) per unit to interest most manual shops. I doubt I'd pay more than $300 to put them on all six heads of my manual. So... you decide if that's a yea or nay.  ;)

Thank you very much Prince Art. Yes - we are going to be under that number for this. We anticipate $50-$55 will be workable. Also - all the parts are powder coated a light grey color.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 01:55:46 PM »
1 more vote for what's already been said: If you can make a combination squeegee rest/ink dam that is quick to install/uninstall, easy to clean, and easily affordable, then you might onto something. But it has to be affordable to a one-man manual shop who'd like to buy probably 4-8 of them, and who's accustomed to a DIY rest. (We used leftover pieces of baseboard held in place with c-clamps from harbor freight.) Not having to keep track of clamps would be worth something... but I'm going to hazard a rough guess that you'd have to make this work for ~$60 (or less) per unit to interest most manual shops. I doubt I'd pay more than $300 to put them on all six heads of my manual. So... you decide if that's a yea or nay.  ;)

Thank you very much Prince Art. Yes - we are going to be under that number for this. We anticipate $50-$55 will be workable. Also - all the parts are powder coated a light grey color.

It'll be interesting to see where you go with this. Even though I don't own any Action stuff at this point, I'm always fascinated by what you come up with.

A thought: I'd look at the possibility of using toggle clamps instead of screw down. Not sure if it would work, but flipping a lever is faster & easier than screw/unscrew.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 02:05:51 PM »
Make a seamless ink scoop... That handle is never going to get clean.

The best ones we use are seamless stainless pie spatulas from the dollar store. Yes they cannot lift up half a gallon of ink they will bend... But they are easy to clean because they have no handle materials to hold the ink. Also they are rounded, on every corner therefore nothing to rip our sensitive S mesh.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 06:11:13 PM »
Why are yall using c clamps and aluminum or whatever. Youre over thinking whsts requited to hold a squeegee upright. Just buy these and be done with it: https://m.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-QUICK-GRIP-12-in-Clamp/1205683

that's what we use, 18" models, and a piece of 2" packing tape for a dam when needed. I think I picked up that trick here too.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 04:22:42 PM »
Why are yall using c clamps and aluminum or whatever. Youre over thinking whsts requited to hold a squeegee upright. Just buy these and be done with it: https://m.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-QUICK-GRIP-12-in-Clamp/1205683

I use these for all kinds of woodworking and some steel work, but find some of them will slip or lose their grip after a while.  How about this from HD or Lowes?  These suckers have a great spring grip and a smaller profile.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-1-in-Steel-Spring-Clamp-with-Handles-and-Tips-XM3/205512958

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 05:29:48 PM »
Those don't have the long extrusion to prop up the squeegee. I'll post a pic later since it doesn't seem like people are understanding. I've never had one of the quick clamps move or slip while printing.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 05:18:47 PM »
You're right. 

My post was for the one post that had an aluminum bar across and using the spring clamps to hold the bar to the screen edge instead of the C clamps.

I think you're saying you use the longer Irwin clamp horizontal across the screen to support the squeegee.  If that's right, don't you get ink in the hard to clean crevices of the Irwin clamp?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline dsh

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 10:42:16 AM »
This is what I made from flat stock aluminum many years ago.  Works fine.  The sides are bent to press against the screen and hold it in place.  Press on, press off.

Offline Action1

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 12:51:54 PM »
Please Click the link below to see our user controlled 3D model of this item. We welcome your additional feedback - thank you!

Rotate the model and zoom in and out also.

https://sketchfab.com/models/faa11b7d45c54924af6edb1320c2da91