Author Topic: Epson 1400 Question  (Read 3199 times)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Epson 1400 Question
« on: August 13, 2017, 11:36:42 PM »
Are any of you running an Epson 1400 with 64 Bit Windows 10?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Northland

Re: Epson 1400 Question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 03:28:33 PM »
Are any of you running an Epson 1400 with 64 Bit Windows 10?
I'm using an Epson 1400 (with Filmmaker) and Windows 10 Home x64 bit.... to print my film exposures.
The desktop came with Windows 7 and got updated to Windows 10 over a year ago.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 05:10:19 PM »
Thanks,

Since you are running successfully on Win 10/64, I pulled the HP 9800 off the table and finally broke open the 1400 box and am in the process of setting it up.  Hopefully will go with no issues and I can finally print again.

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 05:21:56 PM »
Thanks,

Since you are running successfully on Win 10/64, I pulled the HP 9800 off the table and finally broke open the 1400 box and am in the process of setting it up.  Hopefully will go with no issues and I can finally print again.
What you are going to absolutely love is the wide availability of third party goodies like refillable carts or CIS (and real rips LOL!)*
Once I switched over to my Epson WF1100, I wondered why I put up with the expensive HP stuff I needed for so long with the 9800

* for those who don't know, screenxpress is one our resident experts on the free Ghostscript rip.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 05:32:17 PM »
I went through 3 1400's, they were good, but usually ended up with printing issues, but I printed thousands of films with them. Single black channel, the rest cleaning fluid. We picked up a 3800 (sheet fed only) and then when that started to look like trouble, we bought a T3270, which is pretty damn nice. On a 1400, look up how to move the waste ink out of the printer and into a spare ink bottle, this keeps the pads from filling up. Once in a while, you'll get a message that you can't print, then you use the printer utility that clears that up for you, but I don't remember the name of the utility, Windows only. I'd have to grab the printer out of the network and hook it up via USB to our lone PC...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 01:02:09 PM »
Looking ahead, am I going to experience the Epson 1400 barfing if I use compatible inks (chip, etc)?

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 02:26:51 PM »
imo, getting STARTED with the 1400 system at this point would be a waste.
it's years behind the 4800, 4880 system which has been replaced* and is getting long in the tooth
there are way better printers that are out there (especially used if $ at the beginning is the first concern)

if you have a 1400 it's, well, ok. when it breaks, and it will, there are less and less available.
if you don't have have it yet, add $200 to your buy a printer budget and step up and thank me in one month when you've already made all that money back. in a month.

*replaced as the most basic, go-to system solution to output decent ripped films as far as the conventional wisdom of screen printers is concerned

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 03:24:38 PM »
Thanks for all that, but...................

The 1400 was sitting on a shelf unboxed for over 7 years.  I bought it for a backup at the time. 

I had been low production and had been using a HP9800 for years.  When I upgraded to Win 10/64 bit, the 9800 decided to no longer be available to print even though it was a live printer.  This just added to my general disdain for HP products in the first place,

So when I started getting some printing going again (recently retired from day job), the 1400 was opened up and put into service, at no additional cost to me. 

You're right, if I was relying on this for my livelihood, I'd probably consider your suggestions, but for now I think it will do the job.

Still waiting for someone to weigh in on if the thing is gonna give me chip problems when I go to compatible ink.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 04:33:04 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Refillable-Ink-Cartridge-for-epson-PHOTO-1400-1410-1500W-Artisan-1430-79-79XL-/192051095290?hash=item2cb72326fa:g:cWwAAOSwQgpW~0-M

I have been using these for about 6 or 7 years now, never had to reset the chips. I only use it for paperwork now but it did make really nice films. I think I grabbed some ink from Atlas...

https://www.atlasscreensupply.com/store/p/250-Insta-Ink-1-Liter-Black-Dye-Film-Ink.aspx

I have no idea what your question is, I wasn't really paying attention sooo... :P
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 08:53:17 PM »
Thanks Jason

I think you filled in all the blanks even without knowing what they were  ;)

However, I will have to see if they sell a smaller quantity because with my low volume, my great grandchildren will still have ink if I can only get a 1 liter supply, lol.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 11:18:05 PM »
If Atlas doesn't sell small bottles, these guys certainly do.
https://www.cobraink.com/store/

heck, I even have good luck with their pigment ink for my films since I also make transfers with the same printer.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 12:30:07 AM »
this good ink.
http://www.filmdirectonline.com/products/FD-Dye-Black-Ink.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 12:41:26 AM »

heck, I even have good luck with their pigment ink for my films since I also make transfers with the same printer.

Andy, are you using the dye or pigment ink for films in your Epson?  Shouldn't it be dye or did I misread your reply?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 07:57:54 AM »

Andy, are you using the dye or pigment ink for films in your Epson?  Shouldn't it be dye or did I misread your reply?

PM me your address, I have a liter of it sitting here I will never use. Still in the sealed packaging.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 09:17:04 AM »

No, you didn't misread. Dye has always been the preferred ink for film, however, with the so called "waterproof' films, pigment, which is the best type for transfers,  does the trick. Therefore, with my printer pulling double duty, pigment it is.