Author Topic: Wilflex PC vs. Rio  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Racer Tees

Wilflex PC vs. Rio
« on: August 15, 2017, 05:37:18 PM »
Been looking to get into a mixing system.  Tired of all the mis-matched junk we have around here and having to doctor it up all the time.

Been looking at either running the Epic PC with Synergy base or going with the Rio system.

Already running Synergy Whites and Black.

Pros/Cons?  Stuck between the two.

Offline IntegriTees

Re: Wilflex PC vs. Rio
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 11:37:42 AM »
I started with the MX system and liked it.
Then moved to Rio at the beginning of this year.  the ink is creamy and a bit more opaque but I had a lot of problems with the formulas matching the pantone swatches.
I'm still using it but I've been told the PC is a great system and I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has used both.
The only thing is, the bigger shops tend to use the PC and the smaller shops are using mx and rio due to also being able to use the mixing colors by themselves. so i don't know if there are going to be any companies that can compare the two.

Offline Racer Tees

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 11:51:48 AM »
I've been emailed by someone about the PC and we went back and forth.  Using the Synergy base is the way I think we are going.  I'm beyond tired of having problems on press with some of our other brand inks.

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 10:27:06 PM »
I have both systems (but use amazing base with the pigments).
Both are awesome and either one will work wonderfully, the pigments just give you more flexibility with bases (but you do need to be dead on with your measurements).

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 10:23:01 AM »
Both systems work fine. Be sure to invest in a good scale that measures in tenths of grams. We use the Epic/amazing system and have over 500 Pantone colors on a shelf numerically

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 10:43:53 AM »
Tony, just sent you a threat (PM)
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline domineight

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 09:44:42 PM »
Just trailing the rio system at the moment and I'm mostly impressed. I found the PC system quite transparent, not all bad but can cause problems here and there.

Both systems very nice to print with being a nice short creamy ink. The opacity of the rio over PC gives it an edge in printibility for me personally and my uses. The selection of bases available with the PC system is unbeatable, I used either the Amazing base or started with clear SSVFF, so a terrific solution for those wanting variety in ink uses and not having to carry a bunch of different systems.

I mix in small quantities. 300-500 grams so PC obviously a little touchy and sensitive when mixing to formula. Unlike a regular pre mix system which is a little more forgiving.

Either way I love the Wilflex IMS 3.0. The UI, the features of it, printing a nice little label with the formula to stick on my ink pots.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 08:18:55 AM »
We have the pc system here using amazing base.  The formulas are pretty spot on but like mentioned before, you have to be pretty particular with staying exact with the amounts.  I forget the name of the scale I have at the shop but I have it linked up with the IMS 3.0 software so it will tell you if you are within tolerance on each ingredient.  I use the quart containers.  I've never had to mix  large amounts of  any pms so far and try to mix 600 grams or less so that I have  plenty of room to thoroughly mix it up.  I also use viscosity buster to help with the mixing but whatever you do, don't add more than 3% or you'll start losing some opacity.
It's not a job if you love doing it.