Author Topic: having never done foil - what do we need to know?  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
having never done foil - what do we need to know?
« on: August 16, 2017, 02:21:34 PM »
job request, might as well learn - 200+ pieces, foil only (no additional ink in the design).

we have an auto press.
we have a gas dryer.
we have a heat press.
we print plastisol.

anything I ought to know before doing it? brands of adhesive, mesh counts, foil brands to look for or avoid?
am i likely to be somehow misled just choosing a couple of random youtube videos to watch?

pricing - with the extra added step, how much do you mark it up (retail pricing)?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: having never done foil - what do we need to know?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 02:47:01 PM »
If you can use the Virus product I really recommend it. Not only is it easier to get the foil application down, the end result is far superior.

If not, I'm sure the plastisol glues work, but we've always used HD clear tinted to the foil color. The reality is most thick bodied
plastisols will adhere foil well. Lowest mesh the art will support, you want a thickish super smooth deposit. Some people P/F/P, we typically
P/P.

More than brand of foil is the color of it. Certain colors can be a nightmare/completely different application times etc.
Silver and gold for example apply way way differently for us.

Test test test. Make sure you have everything dialed in before and after the dryer before you go printing the whole order.
Test the foil application during the run to make sure nothing has changed as well.

Print size will play into markup a bit. Foil isn't expensive by any means but it isn't free either. Large designs will eat rolls quick.
It's a ton of extra labor and processing, and the end result has added value to most clients, so you can and should charge for it.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 03:06:05 PM »
Probably best to do a search here. Its all been covered

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 10:50:32 PM »
The virus adhesive is magical when it comes to actually binding to the foil, but it absolutely requires a retarder.  Gums up extremely fast.

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 01:32:40 PM »
print/flash/print for plastisol adhesives.  Getting the adhesive above the shirt fibers provides a mirror like finish.  However after the first wash it is often textured and can lose the mirror look.
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline IntegriTees

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 11:32:22 AM »
Don't waste your time going with plastisol or other foil adhesives.  If you want it to be done right and easy the first time, get the virus adhesive.  Its pricey but will keep you from pulling out your hair and replacing a bunch of messed up shirts that just don't quite look 100%

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 11:53:45 AM »
Printed on Friday, foiling today. Going decent, no major issues so far.

Went with (Matsui) WB adhesive with a little retarder, 100/71 mesh static 20N post exposed and Hardener A. 55/90/55 squee. low pressure and low speed. double stroke and PFP, dryer at 340 (305 exit) for 90 seconds, heat press Amagic foil, cold peel. Not perfect but not bad either.

Detailed thoughts:
We coat emulsion pretty thin here, we should have made a screen up for this specifically to get a thicker emulsion deposit. I think we could have done double stroke once rather than the PFP with the right emulsion setup.
Several of the Amagic process sheets said to use a roller screen if possible - we found that didn't work AT ALL.
We do 90% plastisol. The WB adhesive process is a WB process - think we can put down a smooth coat of plastisol AT least as easily as we managed this - think we'll try that next time round.
The pressing time is a killer for shops without a decent floating labor pool (need to get 40 YMCA team jerseys Numbered on that press this week too...)
Are the Matsui and Virus adhesives the same stuff? anyone tried them both?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 05:45:37 PM »
looks pretty good.  I haven't tested the matsui adhesive, but the Virus adhesive blows the plastisol adhesives out of the water when it comes to clean release of the foil (like 100% of it sticks, sharp edges, etc.  The washfastness is also much, much better based on my recent testing.  The foils tend to start to come off the plastisol adhesives after like 5 or 10 washes.  Not completely, but little by little it just starts to go away.  After 10 washes the virus adhesive looks like the day it was printed.

Offline TORB

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 12:46:44 AM »
I like to recommend you start with a plastisol foil adhesive due you're getting started without previous experience ,Rutland is a good option for you.
You can mix it with 15% high density clear and tint the mix with a like color for the foil E.G Gold foil use a yellow ink(123-C) to tint the foil adhesive
-Use a 86 -thread mesh up to 110. Soft squeegee 70 (yellow)
-Cure the print like normal
-Heat Press the foil for 10-12 sec and rub the foil with a dry cloth using  some pressure.
- Very Important: foil is COLD PEEL, that means you have to wait until the garment COOL DOWN
Doing foil takes a lot of labor, consider this like a deal breaker with your estimates.
Best Regards
Fernando Nieto
714 341 7667
The Old Ruler T-Shirt Co.