Author Topic: Squeegie technique (Still don't know what I'm doing)  (Read 1109 times)

Offline redwoodtees

Squeegie technique (Still don't know what I'm doing)
« on: August 17, 2017, 05:39:43 PM »
Manual printer here. When pushing the squeegie (as opposed to pulling), I sometimes have an issue with ink leaving a "trail" off the trailing edge of the squeegie. This will sometimes impact print quality (especially with semitransparent 4CP inks). If I clean off the trailing edge of the squeegie before the print stroke, I get a nice clean print. Otherwise, I get "tracks" of ink droplets, which, as I say, sometimes results in additional ink depositing on the shirt and causing imperfections in the print. This does not happen all the time

Is this a common issue? How do I fix it? If the solution is to clean off the squeegie before every print stroke I will be really bummed.

Thanks

Chris

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
Re: Squeegie technique (Still don't know what I'm doing)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 08:10:42 PM »
How is your tension level & off contact? Is the mesh snapping off the shirt immediately after the squeegee passes?

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 11:10:54 PM »
Manual printer here. When pushing the squeegie (as opposed to pulling), I sometimes have an issue with ink leaving a "trail" off the trailing edge of the squeegie. This will sometimes impact print quality (especially with semitransparent 4CP inks). If I clean off the trailing edge of the squeegie before the print stroke, I get a nice clean print. Otherwise, I get "tracks" of ink droplets, which, as I say, sometimes results in additional ink depositing on the shirt and causing imperfections in the print. This does not happen all the time

Is this a common issue? How do I fix it? If the solution is to clean off the squeegie before every print stroke I will be really bummed.

Thanks

Chris

Yes, this can happen pretty easily, with thick and thin inks. One way to deal with it is to give your squeegee a little tap on the far side of the screen (ink well area) between the flood & stroke, to knock much of the excess ink off the blade. But this has you making an extra reaching motion on every print. Better still is to use what I call a "reverse angle" flood. (I have no idea if this is a common practice, but I discovered it on my own.) Simply flood with the handle facing the center of the press, the same way it rests against the back of the screen, so that you're using the thin face of the blade to move the ink, not the vertical portion of the blade. (Just like the push stroke itself does, in fact.) When flood is complete, just flip the squeegee forward & push it back. Not only will this keep your blade and screen cleaner, I find it's more efficient. It gets really easy to do: lift from resting position without changing angle, drop at front of ink well to grab a thin bead of ink, flood, tiny lift & flip to get behind the ink, stroke, return to resting position. For me, it's faster & cleaner than a standard flood. With CMYK in particular, I found I could move very quickly.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:21:28 PM by Prince Art »
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline redwoodtees

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 01:24:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

@Atownsend, I have this issue when printing with 1/8" off contact, 1/16" off contact, or 0" off contact. I'm using S-mesh statics, so my screen tension is what it is.  None of my screens have very many miles on them. I only print WB, and I often print with zero off contact.

@Prince, I like that idea; I am going to give it a try. Sounds like it might take some time to get then hang of it, but I can see the potential benefit.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 01:59:55 PM »
I also do the reverse flood. It is great for efficiency. Some printers just cant nail the push technique though. Esp the ones who have been pulling for years and years. It can result in blurring and pushing ink to the back of the screen if the angle / pressure is incorrect or if it changes during the stroke. I also pull pretty frequently, I think the key is to have the ability to do both. There are situations best suited for both techniques.

I would take a look at your squeegee blade and see if it dull. Dull / worn / excessively soft squeegees have caused this issue for us. But its usually plastisol top colors which sit on a base.