Author Topic: Hat Champ -- Multicolor on 5-panel caps -- does it really work?  (Read 1503 times)

Offline redwoodtees

I'm debating ordering a Livingston Systems Hat Champ, specifically to print multicolor on 5-panel cotton caps. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm skeptical that the magnetic top clamp will have enough holding power to keep the hat in place through multiple colors.

TIA

Chris

Offline LuxInks

Re: Hat Champ -- Multicolor on 5-panel caps -- does it really work?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 09:46:25 PM »
Hey there. We have one, and only use it for fast turn 1-color prints. I don't think there's any way you'll hold registration for anything more than one color. We've tried simple two colro designs to no avail, so we just get transfers made. Hope that it helps!
www.luxinks.com
www.facebook.com/luxinks www.twitter.com/luxinks  Lux Inks 18900 Beach Blvd. Suite 110 Huntington Beach Calif. 92648 (949) 200.2923 
custom screen printing,contract screen printing,water base printing,discharge printing,flock,foil,apparel finishing,t-shirt printing

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 10:13:24 PM »
I have one from buying out another small shop. We used it once for some single colour foam caps. Worked well for those. I think Chris' advice is on point though, I can't imagine it being able to hold registration even for a quick flash.

Transfers + heat press will do the trick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline inkstain

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 11:28:32 PM »
I'm debating ordering a Livingston Systems Hat Champ, specifically to print multicolor on 5-panel cotton caps. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm skeptical that the magnetic top clamp will have enough holding power to keep the hat in place through multiple colors.

TIA

Chris

I had one of those too.  Kinda ok for 1-color designs only.  Do the print on transfers way.  Way better. 

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 01:19:30 AM »
No way. 1 color max. :)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 02:51:25 AM »
I thought that those unfamiliar with this product might be interested in what's being  talked about here.
https://www.livingstonsystems.com/shop/popular/hat-champ/
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 07:44:21 AM »
We have one from way back; work well, but transfers are easier and usually look a little sharper. We did multicolor with it, easy enough if  you're not trying to push the envelope of sizing; get too close to edges and you get issues.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 02:11:00 PM »
You can print your own heat transfers, I agree with everyone else one color is all I've ever been able to pull off when we screened caps and we even had the curved screen setup from workhorse.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 02:53:55 PM »
We have one but never ever print hats.

Transfers, sublimation, so many better options.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 05:41:59 PM »
like everyone else has already said, transfers of some kind are the way to go. 

most hats suffer from the same issues as rough tote bags and a few other similar materials in that you cant get fine detail to print crisply with good opacity.  You end up with jagged edges and visible knit through your prints. The materials also act weird under a flash.

Offline redwoodtees

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 02:36:41 PM »
I went ahead and ordered the Livingston Hat Champ, and I thought I would post my own findings. I am pretty happy with the design and construction of the hat champ. The thumb screws to attach the interchangeable platens are a bit fiddly, and the wing nuts to clamp the platen to the press are kind of annoying, but overall I think it's well designed and well made. I would buy it again. The printing plane of the hat platen is around 3/4" higher than a normal shirt board. I had to modify my press slightly so that I could fit a 3/4" spacer under the screen (I had to drill a hole in the center of the upper clamp jaw to gain clearance on a bolt, so that I can raise the clamp high enough to accommodate the screen and spacer). I also had to make a separate "elevated" platen to use to register my screens (simply a couple sheets of 3/4" plywood screwed together).

Here's a photo of my first multicolor print. Given my novice skill level I am pretty happy with how they came out. I had no issues with the hat moving during printing (4 colors, 2 of them double-stroked).

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 03:55:32 AM »
Given my novice skill level I am pretty happy with how they came out.

You should be happy. They look great to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »
Thanks for sharing - good results! I've always been curious about the hat champ, but we don't do enough hat's to justify it.
Nice guys laugh last.