Author Topic: New business  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Prints _charming _111

• Verified/Junior
New business
« on: September 04, 2017, 12:13:17 AM »
Can't say I'm a new printer , I have 14 yrs printing experience. But I am a new business owner , I've bought everything I need to start up and I'm wondering how do I get contracts? I have an m&r 10 color challenger and a 6 color Anatol lightning manual press with an Ingersoll 60 inch wide belt gas dryer. Also I've made an account with ASI, I've done everything but get a vendor for contract printing. I have a friend that aslo started his business that referenced this site to find great friends to meet as well as great vendors to send contract printing. Can anyone help?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: New business
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 09:31:50 AM »
Justin,

any business is about sales! Production, bookkeeping and all other shenanigans are secondary to sales. Without sales there is no business.
As a new business owner, you are no longer the printer, but the sales person and a business manager (who just happens to print, too). So where do the sales ppl find orders? What about the place you worked before? Where did they get the sales? Can you emulate them?
Also, you will probably have to do some cold calling, carry business cards with you and ask many ppl you meet about their t-shirt suppliers. Any of your friends and family are potential leads, too. Ask them if they know anybody that would be interested.
Additionally, you could set up a booth at local fairs and festivals with some of your product. It might not generate much in sales, but will generate leads.

Check some books on selling. There is a thread in the business section with a list of books to read.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:42:10 AM »
Justin,

Check some books on selling. There is a thread in the business section with a list of books to read.

pierre

A section unfortunately not available to him yet until he has reached verified status with ten posts. Get to work Justin!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »
It's the craziest thing . I grew up printing in va for a person that's let's say.....Wasn't very supportive. And to be honest alot of employer's I've had where the same . Now I've been around long enough to see this industry change from , screen printing being taught in schools like woodshop classes where. And this business was all that generation to now you have to speak Spanish for most jobs . I don't want to give off the wrong impression ,I think everyone deserves a right to take care of there families ,but to be honest most owners in this business are just life long bodies for there printing shops and they don't want to see you do anything for yourself ,they just need a life long printer to make their money. I know sadly I have to be in the position of a boss but I'm aiming to be better then the men and examples before me. But I say that to say this ,I've planned this along time ago when I was 16 and left my mom's house to be a man and first set foot Ina print shop. I've usually printed for custom ink and I actually by determination had made a friend that was a senior director there. Sadly now that I'm starting my own business ,this friend is no longer there and his replacement of course is not going to give me the business because ,she doesn't know me. But life moves on ,and I've actually partnered with shredz the fitness company to print there apparel ,and I have a few other potential clients as well. I'm advertising and actually physically going out to meet people and get new local clients , and as far as family. I've always printed my families t-shirts , family reunion and such so I definitely have been busy letting everyone know that I'm doing things for myself now . I'm just looking for something a little more consistent. I figured there would be contracts that I could get that would be a everyday or everywhere thing that would be the constant . Thanks for your feed back mr. Pierre and Mr. Frog
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:42:57 PM by Justin_mcduffie »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 03:51:37 PM »
Like Pierre said, it all comes down to sales being the most important factor whether these are generated by friends and family referrals, word-of-mouth from other clients, or (and this is the advice I see more than any other) hitting the bricks and making sales calls.
Of course, there's also the internet goosed with a little SEO and social media which works for many as well.

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 04:21:11 PM »
I guess what I'm pretty much saying is I've done all of those things and for the most part in some ways I've achieved something in all those aspects except utilizing the internet to gain business. I've been on other websites such as digit Smith and Davis. Calm in the Met a few good people through those sources such as the people that Cosmex graphics and mr. Bill Faust. So ive done business with some of the sources I've let online ,I've just yet to find someone to become a contract client . And that's why I'm here . Also I look forward to jumping in some of these post and sharing some of my knowledge of the printing aspect of the business.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 04:27:04 PM »
Well, as I mentioned, after you become a verified member here, you will have access to both the Member to Member section where you can promote you business and the Business sections one of which even concentrates on the Contract side of the industry.

Offline fishman008

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 06:25:01 PM »
Justin,

any business is about sales! Production, bookkeeping and all other shenanigans are secondary to sales. Without sales there is no business.
As a new business owner, you are no longer the printer, but the sales person and a business manager (who just happens to print, too). So where do the sales ppl find orders? What about the place you worked before? Where did they get the sales? Can you emulate them?
Also, you will probably have to do some cold calling, carry business cards with you and ask many ppl you meet about their t-shirt suppliers. Any of your friends and family are potential leads, too. Ask them if they know anybody that would be interested.
Additionally, you could set up a booth at local fairs and festivals with some of your product. It might not generate much in sales, but will generate leads.

pierre

As a fairly new printer I attended a seminar given by Mr. Greaves and Pierre. I always wondered since starting my business, why there isn't a sort of industry approved guide or book. Pierre advice to me over 2 years ago was dead on. You can always find another printer to hire but without sales there is no business. By the way I use this site as my encyclopedia whenever I'm stumped. A wealth of info here. Can be intimidating to post as a newbie.

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 09:01:31 PM »
I don’t think you’re going to find an unattended contract client who will feed you consistent and profitable work. That last part is key. Contract work is great if that’s your model and you have the personnel and skill to churn it out.

As everyone has mentioned you need to become the best salesman you’ve ever known, even if you want to be a 100% contract shop.  Why don’t you research shops between 50 & 100 mikes of your shop.. call each one and see if they outsource their work. If they do then offer to send your price list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 03:08:12 AM »
Ive actually been spending time trying to figure out how to get more clients walking into the door then finding contract work. Even though I have few online stores that are sending work . I’ve thought about trying to see if other shops would contract there work out , but please understand two months ago I worked for these people and I’ve been a key printer in most shops around here so needles to say they would rather have me work for them then with them .

Offline Get Shirts

New business
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 12:10:12 PM »
So you’re going to ask a shop that you recently worked for, but started a competing business against, to now send you work? That sounds absolutely nuts to me.

This board is full of extremely successful and longtime business owners, some of who have offered you highly valuable advice. Listen to them, do what they are saying.. study the info they are giving you. Some of the methods that you’re exploring are going to set you back or possibly bury you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 04:06:09 PM by Get Shirts »

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 09:16:21 PM »
No I’m saying I’m not going to ask a shop I use to work for to contract there work to me.