Author Topic: Embroidery on a lightweight fashion tee? Good idea/Bad idea?  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Prince Art

Embroidery on a lightweight fashion tee? Good idea/Bad idea?
« on: September 05, 2017, 12:07:44 AM »
I have a customer asking for embroidery on center chest of Bella Canvas 3001 tees. Image will be somewhere between 3"x4" to 5"x7". (Shirt will also have multicolor, full back screen printing.)

Add to this: I'll have to outsource it. We don't embroider in house.

So... I know it's out of the ordinary, but is it a genuinely bad idea? That's some thin, stretchy material. I'm imagining potentially bad puckering, etc. This is a pretty fashion-conscious customer, and I'm sure he's seen someone else very hip doing it. I'd like to say yes if I can, but don't want to get into trouble...
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Embroidery on a lightweight fashion tee? Good idea/Bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 09:24:53 AM »
So... I know it's out of the ordinary, but is it a genuinely bad idea? That's some thin, stretchy material. I'm imagining potentially bad puckering, etc. This is a pretty fashion-conscious customer, and I'm sure he's seen someone else very hip doing it. I'd like to say yes if I can, but don't want to get into trouble...

run like hell, everything you describe says you are heading for big time dissipointment.
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 09:57:14 AM »
we've done in here with pretty good success, but you need to remember that depending on the coverage that could come out feeling like garbage because it will be so heavy on the shirt.

I would avoid it and recommend something else.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 12:24:19 PM »
Remember this "anything can be done, but should it!!!!" don't let a customer back you into a bad situation that you already know exist.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ftembroidery

• !!!
  • Just got new glasses, but I'm still disillusioned
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 07:28:05 PM »
We have customers in the construction trades that have us print the back of tees with a large logo and embroider the left chest with the same logo (obviously much smaller).  When the wearer is far away, you can see the logo on the back and know they belong there, if the wearer is within hand shaking distance, the embroidery looks really good.

Therefore the "idea" of embroidered front, printed back is a good one.

HOWEVER....if the shirt is a thin, flimsy, stretchy, unstable material, you might not want to do it. 

First off, whoever does it on that kind of material will have to PROPERLY DIGITIZE it for that kind of material and have their tensions set perfectly, or there will likely be puckering that will make for an unsightly design. 

Secondly, depending upon the design, you'll likely want it digitized in such a manner so as to all but eliminate cuts.  This is so it will be comfortable against the bare skin.  Or, perhaps iron on some "fusible tricot" (often reserved for infant/toddler wear) to cover the knots.

Third, as was already mentioned, on a very lightweight shirt, it could feel like a piece of cardboard was sewn to the front (especially something as big as 4x6 or 5x7).
Grant me the ability to change the things I can, the strength to accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to recognize the difference.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 10:37:56 PM »
Thank you for the replies. You pretty much confirmed what I was thinking.

So, before we just print instead, the customer wants to know:
  -Will reducing the size of the artwork improve results? (I know it will improve comfort, due to less embroidery overall, but will we still be in danger of puckering & other issues?) Talking maybe 3.5"w x 2.5"h
  -Can we use a thicker shirt, and have better results? If so, any recommendations?
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline ftembroidery

• !!!
  • Just got new glasses, but I'm still disillusioned
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 12:21:51 AM »
While making it smaller would probably enhance "comfort", it will not reduce the chances of puckering.  Making it smaller can make it more difficult (depending upon the design) to have a good-looking, legible design. You can print one pixel, but thread remains the same thickness...there's 30wt, 40wt, 60wt and 75wt...the finer the thread, the denser the stitching needs to be.

A thicker shirt and/or heavier backing improves the stability of the garment and thereby improves the final outcome of the embroidery.
Grant me the ability to change the things I can, the strength to accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to recognize the difference.