Author Topic: Looks like a rough ride ahead.  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Doug B

• !!!
Looks like a rough ride ahead.
« on: September 08, 2017, 07:21:18 AM »
 Ah, sunny Florida. I always wanted to live here. After Monday, I might be re-thinking the
idea. Looks like a cat 2 or 3 is going to be sitting right on top of me here in Jacksonville
by 7:00 Monday morning. To everybody else in Florida, be safe and drink plenty of beer.  8)

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
Re: Looks like a rough ride ahead.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 07:31:27 AM »
To all of our friends in the path, best wishes. Be safe. Buildings and equipment can be replaced. Lives can't.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 08:06:40 AM »
To all of our friends in the path, best wishes. Be safe. Buildings and equipment can be replaced. Lives can't.
Amen!  It looks like it will be a rough one.  I hope all in Florida, SC and southeast US are safe. 
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 08:19:48 AM »
after sitting through Harvey, I def. feel very afraid for the people in Florida. Aside from all the extreme issues the hurricane is going to cause, when it's time to get back to business, Harvey really screwed up the shipping logistics in Houston, and I can imagine shipping in FL is gonna be screwed up for a while as well.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 09:17:37 AM »
stay safe fellas...if you guys need any work done while your shut down, we're here to help...no blizzard in the forecast for us...yet.....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 09:21:15 AM »
Where in Jax are you? I moved here just before Matthew... I guess I brought the hurricanes with me. We are mostly buckled up here. I am printing 5 orders this morning then putting the computers up on tables in the screen room. It is all block, a concrete ceiling and no windows. Are you ready? Do you need anything?
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 09:44:34 AM »
be safe guys and gals!  if you need anything let us know!

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 10:31:00 AM »
Where in Jax are you? I moved here just before Matthew... I guess I brought the hurricanes with me. We are mostly buckled up here. I am printing 5 orders this morning then putting the computers up on tables in the screen room. It is all block, a concrete ceiling and no windows. Are you ready? Do you need anything?

I live in the Arlington area (about 7 miles northeast of town). We'll be shutting down about 2:00
to unplug everything in the building (quite a bit), shut off computers, remove everything from
the parking lot, etc. We have a bunch of bay doors that we need to block off with heavy things
to keep the doors from blowing in. That has happened before with a strong thunderstorm. If
we lose power at home we are already registered at a shelter and we are just about as ready
as we can be. Thanks to all well wishers and if the business comes through it alright we are here to help any who needs it as well.
anybody as well.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 08:59:55 PM »
Good luck guys. Prayers for you all.  I've been through three of them while in Fl. Worst I've seen (in the center of Fl was a cat2. That took part of my roof off.

One great thing that happened even though I had not asked for any financial assistance, is that a few (5) members here sent me $ via paypal to assist with micl expenses I might have. I can tel you, the act of kindness was very beneficial at that time. I eventually got back to everyone who sent $ and paid them back for that, but it was the thought behind it that was most rewarding.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 06:40:31 AM »
We are in the Tampa area. This mornings track takes it directly over Tampa as a Cat 3. There is only so much you can do. We wrapped up the presses and other equipment, all of the garments bagged and stacked on tables, all computers and back ups removed and secured, etc.... Again, there is only so much you can do be the plan here is to protect from roof leaks. If the roof comes off it's game over.

We have also taken dozens of photos and video, just in case we need it.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 07:14:53 AM »
Any updates folks?  It's starting to rain here, we put all the garments up on pallets in case we get some water, with heavy rains we usually get enough in to soak the bottoms of the boxes in certain areas.  Not really concerned at all, but our schools and govt offices are all closed today, school is closed tomorrow as well.

We are working a half day with a skeleton crew.  I imagine we'll lose power here this afternoon.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 12:00:32 PM »
We're east coast, central FL. Almost no one has power, but very little significant damage that I'm aware of. Most, like ourselves, just have to deal with branches everywhere, leaning fences, etc. Some folks lost too many shingles, may have roof damage. A few areas next to the water had some localized flooding. We're thankful it wasn't worse here. Still, the fact that it reached us from the other side of the state with the strength it did shows how big of a storm it was. Curious to know how 1964GN & others over there fared. Hope all is well!
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 12:07:27 PM »
Unfortunately the US Virgin Islands got little if any news coverage (typical) but they got it pretty bad. My friend Billy has a shop on top of an atoll by the airport and has gone off the grid. Hopefully he'll be back on FB soon

Offline T Shirt1

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 12:18:29 PM »
You're right.  St John has been trashed.  St Thomas too but isn't sounding quite as bad. Tortola and Jost are toast.  St Maartin flattened.  FEMA on St Thomas is issuing one 20'x24' tarp per family. 
steve

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 03:52:55 PM »
Yeah, I feel bad for the people in the islands. While I'm sure some folks will try to help, the number who can do so will be much lower, when comparing to areas where stateside do-gooders can drive to (like Texas or Florida). More coverage would surely help - even when guys like you mention them here & on FB, it raises awareness.
Nice guys laugh last.