Author Topic: How to print this with the fewest possible colors  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
How to print this with the fewest possible colors
« on: September 08, 2017, 02:47:49 PM »
Curious on how to go about this one. Trying to use as few colors as possible, yet closely match the design below. I was thinking 5 colors, but trying to get it to maybe 3? As always, thanks in advance!

Shirts will be black, I believe.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: How to print this with the fewest possible colors
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 03:18:06 PM »
quick look at it but I think 2 browns and a white, Discharge if possible would get it done...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 04:28:47 PM »
Base white
Highlite White
Brown

55 lpi 225S mesh.

Use the highlite white in the bright areas of the brown if needed.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 04:53:31 PM »
Dot Tone Dan posted some art very simpler to this which he used very few colors, shoot him a pm
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 07:47:00 AM »
Need garment color(s)

Offline Biverson

How to print this with the fewest possible colors
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 09:02:48 PM »
You could use two. Brown and white. Use a 200/230 for the white and have it be your base and HW and then brown on top. Black parts would be the shirt. I usually don't like using black shirts for black in the design though. Especially when there's black on the edges like that. I'd print white, brown, black for the least amount of colors. Interlock the black, white, and brown halftones together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brett - Pioneer Print Co.
www.idoshirts.com

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 04:36:06 PM »
Don't jump all over me but I cringe when I see this. I realize that; due to press constraints and cust budget, this is a concern, but to me that suggests sub standard work. The question I would prefer to see is "How to print this to make it look as good as it should" Not win awards, but to meet the printers and customers expectations. Just don't like to see substandard work leave any shop.
That said, since you should have at least have a 4 color press use them. 2 browns/2 whites.
Off my soapbox

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 07:29:17 AM »
Don't jump all over me but I cringe when I see this. I realize that; due to press constraints and cust budget, this is a concern, but to me that suggests sub standard work. The question I would prefer to see is "How to print this to make it look as good as it should" Not win awards, but to meet the printers and customers expectations. Just don't like to see substandard work leave any shop.
That said, since you should have at least have a 4 color press use them. 2 browns/2 whites.
Off my soapbox

Totally understandable. I don't like to do subpar work either. Halftones and I generally don't get along very well, do to a lack of knowledge on my part to really print them properly. I originally quoted the job as a 5 color because that is what I thought it would take to make it look as close to the original image as possible. But you know how it goes, client didn't want to spend that much, yata yata yata - we all heard it before. That is where the compromises come in. I haven't heard back from the client on the quote as a 3 color yet so I'm hoping they just scrap it and go with a 1 color design anyway lol. I've done a lot of shirts for Bar/Bat Mitzvahs and this one is way over the budget on what people are usually willing to spend for a one time event.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 09:01:30 PM »
Base white
Highlite White
Brown

55 lpi 225S mesh.

Use the highlite white in the bright areas of the brown if needed.

this! (for any future references)

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 11:34:46 AM »
A few years back we won a contest here with a similar image, we used orange, white and black... it won an award, so it is possible. We never enter contests, but this one just came out so well. I can't seem to locate the image on my computer, maybe Andy or one of the other moderators could find the link, 2011 in October I think...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't