Author Topic: Monitor questions  (Read 1860 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Monitor questions
« on: September 10, 2017, 06:44:53 PM »
I'm wondering if the guys with a networking background, can tell me how I should be setting up multiple monitors around my shop?

Ideally I'd like to have a monitor by the unload station of the press, as well as at the end of the Dryer, where I can show the mock up of what is being printed.

What's the best way to set that up? And is there a way to set it up, so my production manager can control what they are seeing on his tablet, or would he need a dedicated work station to do that?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Biverson

Monitor questions
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:09:21 PM »
One idea is to get 2 chromecasts and cast the desktop or window with the mock-up on it. Only thing is I don't know if you can cast one screen to 2 TVs. Just an idea I thought of. Probably better solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brett - Pioneer Print Co.
www.idoshirts.com

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Re: Monitor questions
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 12:29:35 PM »
Bumping this up for monday morning!
Night Owls

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 11:07:31 PM »
Which shop management tool are you using? We are doing this with Printavo. I have the following stations with custom job queue views for that station:

* Screen Printing - shows jobs ready to print (screens + garments)
* Receiving - shows jobs ordered / not received
* DTG - anything ready for dtg
* Dryer - work orders
* Finishing - anything in finishing or heat press

How?
* Dedicated chromebook connected to the TV
* Separate Printavo account for each station to display the different views (user accounts are free)
* Chrome app to reload the webpage every 30/60 seconds so information is never stale
* Chrome app so that chromebook does not sleep when lid is closed.
* The TVs behind the dryer are hooked up to a chromebook controlled by the press operator, who must set the image for the catcher.

Notes:
* Each display station is under $300 including mounts. I bought used Chromebooks for $60 on eBay.
* I tried using a Chromecast originally but the connection is flaky and moving to Chromebooks is much more stable.

Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 12:57:28 AM »
* Each display station is under $300 including mounts. I bought used Chromebooks for $60 on eBay.

Nice setup!  And this answers my question to the other thread on what software you use.  How in Printavo do you do orders that have multi embellishments?  Do you have to just create a task for each that then you just check off?  Seems scheduling leaves a lot to be desired there.

I've gotten an Amazon Fire HD and Amazon Fire as they are $50 or $70 to play with as a cheap tool that could run a SAAS on for production.  Their cameras are no where near as good as an iPad though if you were to use it to take photos of your prints for matching reorders.  I see press operators using a Fire, and catchers / managers on iPads and iPod touches as web based is the way to go, and the much better cameras.

Printavo looks like the best option out right now, but more towards smaller shops, which is a good market as there are a lot looking for software without the price tag of something like Impress or Shopworx or Stockup or Dart.

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 01:56:49 AM »
Multi embellishment -we do dtg, screen, embroidery and vinyl
You just create another line item for second, third fourth print location, and you can upload the proof.

Scheduling is easy I don't bother assigning jobs for day, though we do have a production meeting still to discuss rushes and difficult jobs
1. Each team member is responsible for updating the status in their station. When screens are made, status changes to screens from films. When garments received receiving changes status from ordered to received.
2. When job board at printing press shows garments received / screens made the lead press op pulls the cart and screens and prints it on a fifo basis
Ez

Need computer because press op has to log setup and tear down times

I checked out shopworx it didn't seem worth the price tag. Overall happy w printavo

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 09:50:32 AM »
this set up is close to what we want to do, but not exactly. since we are running two autos, we are looking to have a monitor for press ops and catchers, but not with the job specs, just the mock ups.
Night Owls

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 10:18:44 AM »
If it is just for mock ups and no other info is needed, why not just a color print on paper?
You can print as many copies as needed for pennies.  Hang one on or near the press, one at the end of the belt..etc.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 10:35:10 AM »
If it is just for mock ups and no other info is needed, why not just a color print on paper?
You can print as many copies as needed for pennies.  Hang one on or near the press, one at the end of the belt..etc.

We print color proofs, but IMO they are too small at the press at times. Super small text in a design or some details that would be nice to have a big monitor to blow it up. I can see a use for this that makes sense and frankly TV's are super cheap.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 10:00:00 PM »
this set up is close to what we want to do, but not exactly. since we are running two autos, we are looking to have a monitor for press ops and catchers, but not with the job specs, just the mock ups.

if you look at the first photo we're showing the proof at the end of the dryer. you could hook up an HDMI splitter to show the same proof on the 2 monitors - press and dryer.  if you want your production manager to be able to control it, personally I would use a dedicated work station as it would be more stable than trying to cast it from a tablet.  when we tried to cast, the connection would drop every hour or so.