Author Topic: The most opaque plastisol mixing base  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
The most opaque plastisol mixing base
« on: September 13, 2017, 05:30:37 AM »
 Wilflex told us their most opaque base is the Epic Amazing base.
What other options are there?

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Re: The most opaque plastisol mixing base
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 03:08:34 PM »
dont you mean pigment. if understand their system its pigment and equalizers. base shouldn't matter.  depends on system you have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 03:21:50 PM »
Pretty sure he meant base. Loosely put, there are transparent, translucent, and opaque. Others for soft hand etc. Pigments have varying strengths depending on origin and particle grind but cannot by definition be transparent or opaque. I make three different bases for discharge as described above

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 03:57:23 PM »
Tony is it the same with plastisol. the 3 types of bases?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:33:09 PM »
I see at least eight bases for the Epic mixing system. And these don't include SFX bases they offer. Time to dig in and research

EPIC PC SYSTEM - MIXING BASES
RESOURCES
Product Name    Attribute
Epic Amazing Base    Versatile mixing base, vector and halftone printing.
Epic Mixing Base    Versatile mixing base, best in class for simulated process and high mesh printing.
Epic Nylon Mesh Base    Epic Nylon Mesh produces a smooth, highly durable base for graphics on nylon mesh and nylon dazzle cloth.
Epic One Step Nylon Base    OSN white is designed to perform on Nylon weaves without the addition of catalyst, it will not dry in the screen or harden in the container.
Epic Stretch Base    Formulated to cure at lower temperatures to prevent or substantially reduce shrinkage of heat-sensitive fabrics.
Epic Top Score LBFF Base    Matte finish, manual or automatic printing, bleed resistance.
Epic Performance Base    Satin finish with excellent stretch and bleed resistance.
Epic Athletic LB Base    Designed for printing on fabrics prone to dye migration, such as polyesters and poly/cotton blends.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 05:09:51 PM »
Yes and no, depending on the manufacturer. Plastisol bases contain resins, binders, and fillers. The fillers take care of most of the opacity levels. With water bases; which contain up to 85% water, aqueous resins and such, but essentually no fillers; I (then later some ink manufacturers) used white ink to make the different bases. (yes, this was the genesis of DC U-Bases)
Back to plastisol:
Lets take Nike as a customer example. Each season they would submit their color pallette. You had to strike off each color on a 2" circle on an auto on both direct on white/light fabrics and on a 100% solid wht ub. Guess what? Different formulas and bases for most colors. Different pigment loads as the opaque bases could handle a higher strength