Author Topic: Transfers with Dye Based Inks?  (Read 647 times)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Transfers with Dye Based Inks?
« on: September 17, 2017, 11:27:37 PM »
I've recently changed from an HP 9800 printer to an Epson 1400.

The Epson uses Dye based ink and I'm pretty sure the HP used Pigment ink.

I've had mixed success with transfers on the HP 9800.

Does anyone have input on how the Dye based ink might work with Dye based inks?  I have Coastal Transfer paper.

TIA
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Transfers with Dye Based Inks?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 12:44:41 AM »
I use the Neenah Jet Pro Soft Stretch which says that is is compatible with dye or pigment based inks. I use Cobra pigment type with great success.

As for your Coastal, this answers a few things for you.
Specifications:
For pigment/dye inkjet printers - not compatible with thermal inkjet printers
Can be applied with heat press or conventional home iron -- for the best, most durable results, we highly recommend heat press application.
Due to the internal feed/pinch rollers of various machines, certain printing or processes can be damaging to the sensitive transfer coating of Red Grid. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that this paper will run through every model of printer/cutter equipment, and highly recommend using a sample prior to committing to any production.
Not recommended to be used with HP, Brother, or Dell printers
Heat transfer paper with proper storage (cool, dark, sealed location) typically has a shelf life of one year
See full application instructions under More Information
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:05:22 AM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 01:39:57 AM »
Thanks Andy. 

I just pulled out my transfer pack and it says Jet Pro Soft Stretch from Coastal.  Pack does not have the same information.  Nothing about okay with dye or pigment and no mention of any printer manufacturer warning.

I'll give it a try tomorrow and post the results.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 08:43:36 AM »
Those are the exact same guidelines Coastal gives on their site for Jet Pro Soft Stretch.
I originally looked at what they had to say about their own Red Grid paper which is where my head went when you said "Coastal transfer paper"
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?