Author Topic: Soundproofing our compressor.  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Soundproofing our compressor.
« on: September 20, 2017, 08:16:12 PM »
Working just a couple of meters away from our Atlas Copco compressor really has taken a toll on my mental health. Feeling totally stressed fro all the noise around me especially the compressor kicking in. My ability to concentrate is gone, memory issues etc.
Sound proofing the compressor would help a lot I think.
Now what options are there? I came across sound curtains, which reduce the noise by up to 20 dB.  Anyone here having soundproofed their compressor. Any photos available?

Offline T Shirt Farmer

Re: Soundproofing our compressor.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 09:13:24 PM »
Kaeser is the answer bar none the most quite unit I have heard, compressors need good ventilation what ever you do make certain it does not restrict airflow
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 09:51:00 PM »
I know purchasing a new one may not be in the immediate plan.  Can you post a picture showing the unit, its location, and proximity to other equipment to possibly come up with some ideas?  I'm assuming this is an oil-less compressor due to the exceptional noise.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 09:53:23 PM »
Kaeser is the answer bar none the most quite unit I have heard, compressors need good ventilation what ever you do make certain it does not restrict airflow
That`s true regarding the the air circulation. I was looking into it already. The sound curtains seem to be a good solution in regard to sound proofing and air circulation .Other option would be to  move the compressor out of the building which of course would piss off my neighbors well and proper.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 09:59:29 PM »
I know purchasing a new one may not be in the immediate plan.  Can you post a picture showing the unit, its location, and proximity to other equipment to possibly come up with some ideas?  I'm assuming this is an oil-less compressor due to the exceptional noise.
Here you go.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 10:06:59 PM »
Glad you brought this up. We have a 25hp sullair screw compressor and it's crazy loud. The constant droning forced us to use ear plugs for a few months. I was thinking about getting some 2x4s and walling it off with drywall, but it's 100cfm and really moves some air. It's also a little close to our panel and I don't think I could get away with it. Would also have to make some type of access door... so I think that's kind of out. Our best bet would probably be to downsize on the compressor.... we really don't need all that air. I got it for next to nothing and it's a beast, but damn the noise gets old.

I think a good solution could be built without wall framing or significant construction using black iron pipe and floor flange secured to the floor and walls. Then a sound proof blanket could be attached somehow. Might be effective, might not. Still have to worry about air flow / venting. But I think a balnket would be better than putting up a wall in our case. If I end up doing it I'll post pics. Unless of course someone has done this a better way....

Some of the sound proof blankets do look promising though

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 10:48:27 PM »
Glad you brought this up. We have a 25hp sullair screw compressor and it's crazy loud. The constant droning forced us to use ear plugs for a few months. I was thinking about getting some 2x4s and walling it off with drywall, but it's 100cfm and really moves some air. It's also a little close to our panel and I don't think I could get away with it. Would also have to make some type of access door... so I think that's kind of out. Our best bet would probably be to downsize on the compressor.... we really don't need all that air. I got it for next to nothing and it's a beast, but damn the noise gets old.

I think a good solution could be built without wall framing or significant construction using black iron pipe and floor flange secured to the floor and walls. Then a sound proof blanket could be attached somehow. Might be effective, might not. Still have to worry about air flow / venting. But I think a balnket would be better than putting up a wall in our case. If I end up doing it I'll post pics. Unless of course someone has done this a better way....

Some of the sound proof blankets do look promising though

This is what I found yesterday. I think this might be a good solution but wanted to see if anyone else had some other ideas.
These curtains can be order made and have air inlet and outlet.
http://www.enoisecontrol.com/air-compressor-sound-enclosure/

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 11:01:10 PM »
My suggestion would be to go by any HVAC supplier and buy two 4x8 sheets of 1 inch (or thicker if they have it) duct insulation.  It will be stiff with foil on one side and made from tight fiberglass.  Not the stuff that floats around in the air.  Also get a roll of their aluminum tape for sealing ducts and even a quart bucket of the sealing goo that dries hard in an hour.

Cut three 8 foot tall strips and tape them into a standing partition (viewed from above would be in the shape of a "U") to surround and slide up to the wall to isolate each (are there 2?).  That would leave the top open high for any needed air circulation and could be pulled away for any servicing.

I believe that would drastically lower the sound level.

I used all of those same items to make a cover (pic below) for my dryer to dissipate the exhausting heat from the intake and outtake openings.   

I did use a number of "L" angle brackets with nuts and bolts (note the washers on the sides to affix the sides to the top) to make all the corners rigid before applying the tape and goo.

---followup
I looked at the link you posted and my visual of what i was saying was like his middle picture.  Check the prices of the above components and I'll wager they are far less expensive than the curtains.  Maybe not.  I think I paid something like $25 for each 4x8 panel and another $20-30 for tape and goo.  Oh, and if you need an air inlet, get a simple A/C ceiling grill from HD and cut an opening and tape it in as needed.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:07:39 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 10:00:51 AM »
I'd be HIGHLY skeptical of 20 db of reduction from those curtains.

I'm sending this off to my sound engineer buddy and get his opinion... 20db is a LOT!

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 10:03:36 AM »
First of all, start using earplugs TODAY. Not just for stress level, but for the future of your hearing. The soft, cone-shaped plugs that you roll & insert are the best. And if you want to really get some peace, put on safety earmuffs over them. You'll feel like you're on another planet.

Plugs: https://www.amazon.com/Ear-Buddy-Premium-Plugs-Decibels/dp/B00PSX6ZV2/ref=sr_1_10_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1506002138&sr=1-10&keywords=ear+plugs
Earmuffs: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_asi_1?rh=i%3Atools%2Ck%3Aindustrial+ear+muffs&keywords=industrial+ear+muffs&ie=UTF8&qid=1506002334

As for building an enclosure, you can check this out, too: https://acousticalsolutions.com/soundproofing-small-loud-widgets/
(I haven't built an enclosure, but looked into it before getting a Brown press, which made it a non-issue.)
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 12:09:14 PM »
I'm with Gilligan on that, 20dB across the whole audio spectrum sounds very fishy for 'curtains'.

They probably say something like "Up to a twenty dB reduction in sound", implying it will attenuate 20 dB at 20 kilohertz, where most everyone is already deaf, but 1 or 2 dB down in the 20-100Hz range, the range in which the noise is pounding your brain into a pulp.

I'd look into doing something like screenexpress mentions, I'd just add that if you can double wall an enclosure and 'acoustically decouple' those two walls, you'll have a massive drop in noise.  Not easy, but might be worth it in your case.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 12:19:22 PM »
We have our 2 compressors in a room down the hall, hardly hear them at all ;D. However, we've moving, so this discussion is right up our alley. We are planning on walling them off in a corner of our new location.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 12:23:58 PM »
I keep looking at the pictures and the compressors do not appear as I expected.  I do not see any opening that would require air input.  What am I missing?

I was even thinking, with a front 3 sided enclosure as I mentioned, you could even put a top on it with flex wrap tubing (like over my dryer) to run even the top noise outside; or way off to the end of the room to muffle the sound even more.

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 12:49:58 PM »
If you can afford it, a Mattei compressor is really quiet and can be on the production floor.  Probably others as well designed for interior shop use.  Soundproofing our screw compressors was impossible. That jet engine whine could go though concrete. Piston compressors on/off process is controllable, but enclosing a compressor is just asking for it to break down when it overheats on a hot day.
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 04:03:53 PM »