Author Topic: Soundproofing our compressor.  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Soundproofing our compressor.
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 04:35:06 PM »
You have the compressor so close to your carousel, must really drive you crazy.
There is no problem running air pipes in the building.       I put my compressors on the roof (I have a new one like yours and a old noisy one as a backup) and I have a black plastic water pipes running in the building, just get a high pressure pipe.
Must be somewhere, on the roof, behind the building, anywhere other than next to the carousel.
You can leave the extra tanks where they are.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »
You have the compressor so close to your carousel, must really drive you crazy.
There is no problem running air pipes in the building.       I put my compressors on the roof (I have a new one like yours and a old noisy one as a backup) and I have a black plastic water pipes running in the building, just get a high pressure pipe.
Must be somewhere, on the roof, behind the building, anywhere other than next to the carousel.
You can leave the extra tanks where they are.
Yes it`s very troubling having the compressor so close to the press and the loading station. Unfortunately we are on limited space here and as you can imagine factory space is very expensive in Japan.
Wish I could put it up on the roof, but we are on the ground floor of a 3 floor building and my landlord is breeding race pigeons on the roof so that option is off the table anyway. Behind the building is a parking lot and then residential properties, same at the front. I`m screwed;)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 02:01:30 AM »
If that's the case I'd build a box around it from 2 layers of thin board, like chalk board and fill it with a good quality insulation.
Just check what airflow you need inside the box and what they recommend so that it won't overheat.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline domineight

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 03:28:10 AM »
Is there any sound foam inside the compressor? Like glued to the sheetmetal panels themselves?

I have to do my new one too, well now 'new' but a  used 15HP MARK screw compressor. Someone has actually ripped all the foam off of mine, although it gets old and starts falling apart anyway.
I've always chucked my compressors onto a wood pallet with strips of old squeegee around the bottom to kill off any vibration that will amplify the drone of the screw compressor/motor somewhat. It is helpful.

For me personally I haven't encountered a screw compressor that I can't bring back from incessant maddening noise to a tolerable drone using the pallet/squeegee and replacing sound foam inside the box itself.

I understand everyone is different though. For me it's piston compressors, that consistent thumping drives me nuts and brings on headaches, but even placing squeegee under those to absorb a bit of vibration does quite a bit.

Offline socceronly

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 02:45:17 PM »
Many have pointed out you need good airflow.

One trick there is to zig zag the vent(s).

Building a box around it is going to be the best way to do it.  Once you do it make a huge difference.

Use layers of dryawall with a viscous compound between them called Green Glue.  I have used this to soundproof walls and boxes, it works well.

Also use Roxul insulation between the joists, that stuff really kills sound.