Author Topic: Vinyl cutter questions  (Read 2818 times)

Offline merchmonster

Re: Vinyl cutter questions
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 10:52:35 PM »
I got a $300 cuttter from us cutter and it works fine other than its super noisy. We make money with it.
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 08:59:23 AM »
I got a $300 cuttter from us cutter and it works fine other than its super noisy. We make money with it.

Same with our old Roland. It didn't come with proprietary software, but came with a discount on Flexi-Sign, a tracing program that was pretty bad, they all were then, and Photoshop 2.0, for about $4K. 23 years later, it's pretty damn cheap. No, we don't make signs, and as I said, it's a real old version. As long as it cuts the names, I'm all set. But I do like the conversation as when I do have to upgrade, the flow is something to consider. Right now, we have the send the files to an old iMac, the ball shaped one, to act as a server. The version of Flexi won't talk to newer OS X on the network. Still makes us money.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 09:50:43 PM »
You asked about the downside about no name cutters. There is none. It's disposable and you will make your money back faster :)
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »
Downside to cheap cutters:
-No support if they break
-software sucks usually and setup can be a pain
-loud and slow
-tracking issues and issues with fine detail
-no optical eye or ARMS etc so you can't use them for cutting printed transfers, stickers etc.
-issues with thicker vinyls like glitters

If you can only afford a cheap one or don't do much vinyl and the jobs you do are basic names and numbers only, they are fine though. We use our cutters multiple times a day for too many different job types to list.

Offline XG Print

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 01:46:52 PM »
if you want to go cheap go with a GCC Expert 24...I've had one for about 5 years and it has served us well.  That little $500 investment has made us 10's of thousands of $$$ because we used to take it to sporting events and cut on site.  If you want to spend a little more go with a Graphtec or Roland and you will have a nicer motor that will last forever.  I do love that you can cut directly from Corel with the GCC.  Not sure how many others you can do that with.

Offline Prints _charming _111

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2017, 01:48:16 PM »
I kinda figured there wouldn't be much of a difference. Thank you to everyone that helped .