Author Topic: Plasticharge Question  (Read 4394 times)

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Plasticharge Question
« on: September 21, 2017, 05:40:16 PM »
I just recently tried Ryonet Plasticharge mixed with Union Maxopake Golden Yellow and was highly pleased with the result. 

However, using just water for cleanup did not get everything completely off the screen, but I let it dry.

The screen image is now partially clogged and even using press wash offers not much improvement.  I then tried Camie screen opener and it started removing the shirt side emulsion.  Perhaps Camie is too strong for Cryocoat.  I do have Sprayway screen opener. 

I think I screwed up thinking the ink changed to a hybrid water base and used water for press wash cleanup. 

Am I correct?

If so, please try to let me down gently.   :)
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Online zanegun08

Re: Plasticharge Question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 08:24:06 PM »
I think I screwed up thinking the ink changed to a hybrid water base and used water for press wash cleanup. 

Plasticharge doesn't change the ink to a water base, it's still plastisol, you should still use a solvent for cleaning the ink the same you would any plastisol.

I would soak it in a dip tank if you have one and reclaim the screen and start over.

But in the future to clean just use a solvent, not water.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 09:12:19 PM »
Interestingly though, the instructions say that water can be used to thin it.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 10:07:43 PM »

Plasticharge doesn't change the ink to a water base, it's still plastisol, you should still use a solvent for cleaning the ink the same you would any plastisol.

I would soak it in a dip tank if you have one and reclaim the screen and start over.

But in the future to clean just use a solvent, not water.

Thanks for clearing that up.  What I think messed me up was a number of years back (probably over 6) I had tried some Union Plasticharge and added an Ultrasoft color to it and the print turned out crappy (now I know was not enough pigment).  Their instructions at the time, as I remember, said water was cheanup once they were  mixed.  I remember using water back then and it did clean up the screen.  I'm guessing the newer formulas do not support that.  Or the Ultrasoft was so low in pigment it let me get away with it.  I won't do that again.

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 10:46:46 PM »
The Wilflex Oasis NF Plascharge says to clean up with tap water and Wilflex screen wash.

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 10:49:06 PM »
Interesting. 

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 09:05:01 AM »
We use Union's Plasticharge, sporadically, and we only clean it up with water, we do use the pressure washer judiciously to do it.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 10:29:35 AM »
The word Plasticharge should have giving you a clue ;)
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 03:32:28 PM »
We use Union's Plasticharge, sporadically, and we only clean it up with water, we do use the pressure washer judiciously to do it.

Steve

Steve, when you do use Union's Plasticharge, what ink are you mixing with it?  Maxopake/Mixopake or?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 03:42:28 PM »

Steve

Steve, when you do use Union's Plasticharge, what ink are you mixing with it?  Maxopake/Mixopake or?

Not Steve, but I think that the Union only comes as white, while the Oasis Plascharge from Wilflex is available as a base.

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 04:30:38 PM »
Andy,
I had a gallon of clear Union Plasticharge for mixing with Plastisol that was so old I disposed of it about 3 weeks ago.  Looking back, that might have been stupid.  It might have still been good.  I should have tested.  Oh well.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 04:40:43 PM »
Andy,
I had a gallon of clear Union Plasticharge for mixing with Plastisol that was so old I disposed of it about 3 weeks ago.  Looking back, that might have been stupid.  It might have still been good.  I should have tested.  Oh well.

My Oasis tech sheet says to use within a year, but who knows?

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »
While we're on the topic of Plasticharge, might I ask another question: How does the odor compare to regular discharge? I've yet to try plasticharge, as DC didn't work we'll for the level of ventilation I [don't] have in my shop.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 11:36:15 AM »

Steve

Maxopaque, we've used that system for years, but again, our use of it is sporadic at best. But as far as cleaning, it comes right off the press and into the sink in the screen room, which has a filtration unit so the solids don't go downstream. Water alone does it for us...

steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 12:04:09 PM »
While we're on the topic of Plasticharge, might I ask another question: How does the odor compare to regular discharge? I've yet to try plasticharge, as DC didn't work we'll for the level of ventilation I [don't] have in my shop.

I can only answer to the Wilflex Oasis NF in which the NF stands for non-formaldehyde, so avoids the main smelly component (while printing, at least. I seem to remember that the mixed ink itself had a funny smell)
http://www.kiwo.com.au/media/uploads/files/TDS_Oasis_NF_Plascharge-102.pdf

The Union apparently uses ZFS activator in which the "F" stands for the smelly culprit.

I have no idea who makes the base and discharge agent Ryonet sells, so have no idea which way they swing. Couldn't find the tech sheet on their site either, but I don't go there often, and may just not know how to navigate to that info.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 12:07:43 PM by Frog »