Author Topic: Art files?  (Read 3141 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Art files?
« on: September 21, 2017, 06:25:34 PM »
I know most of you and I get them too art files from many many different programs, but have any of you gotten art files from silhouette studio? I have not a clue what this program is so I decided to look it up and I'm still in the dark.  Right now I got some png files which I will make them work, but what file exports can any of you tell me that I can use from silhouette studio.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline cyw

Re: Art files?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 06:40:30 PM »
It's the propriety software for small 'hobby' cutters. I don't believe files can be exported in anything but rasters. Even if your customer saves as a PDF, the contents are still rasters. There may be an online source to convert studio files but I don't have the link handy.
Facebook is filled with thousands upon thousands of people who use this software and cutter. A lot of them use it for rhinestone templates, which imho, it does a FANTASTIC job with.
I have a desktop Ioline, a flatbed cutter and also a Versacammm.....guess what I cut glitter with today?
Those small, cheap cutters are da' bomb for some projects! for sure
But, as I mentioned above, they've got a huge grip on file sharing, so if you're looking for a vector, you may need to find that conversion site.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 06:58:57 PM »
I know nothing about silhouette Studio, but after I searched and read this, I laughed out loud.

Tutorial to save as .svg in Silhouette Studio

First, prep your design in Silhouette Studio. ...
    Now, you'll need to use a PDF Printer to virtually print your design to your computer in .png format. ...
    Download and install Inkscape (it's free).
    Open your image in Inkscape. ...
    Press “Control + A” to select all.

I have occasionally used inkscape and have it on my pc.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 10:40:09 PM »
Boy you never know what file is coming over, trying to learn a little here, well at least it ain't a docx file ;D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 06:50:38 AM »
Boy you never know what file is coming over, trying to learn a little here, well at least it ain't a docx file ;D

or a napkin :o
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 07:44:19 AM »
I try to walk the sender through their preferences to see if there is a way to set the resolution of the raster image for export (word has that) and if it's there set it for 300 ppi and make sure the design is as close as possible to the finished size. Then, you have a decent chance of doing something with it in Photoshop.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 11:45:36 AM »
I know nothing about silhouette Studio, but after I searched and read this, I laughed out loud.

Now, you'll need to use a PDF Printer to virtually print your design to your computer in .png format. ...

Not a big leap to see that many hobbyist cutters would opt for a cheaper (or free) alternative to Photoshop or even Corel Photopaint.
There's even a new player, Affinity, selling another alternative for $50.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 04:27:34 PM »
or a napkin :o

I actually had one on a bar napkin once.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 12:36:24 PM »

Not a big leap to see that many hobbyist cutters would opt for a cheaper (or free) alternative to Photoshop or even Corel Photopaint.
There's even a new player, Affinity, selling another alternative for $50.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/

I keep looking at Affinity for home (when I did a major Mac upgrade, Illy CS4 ceased to function) so I've been sans vector at home for awhile.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't