Author Topic: Employee that quit and works 1 day for me per week  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Logoman

• Life is what happens while your making other plans
Employee that quit and works 1 day for me per week
« on: September 22, 2017, 03:05:21 PM »
I had an employee that worked for me for a number of years and it was a continuous problem for him to get to work on time.In a bad situation he was late and I fired him. Few yrs later he came back looking for a job so I hired him back and things were good for a while but I did not start his pay at the same rate as he left at. Told him when he proved himself I would raise his pay. HIs tardiness never got better. In the meantime he took a job with a Plumber with promises of Big Money. So he said if I needed him to work one day a week he could do that. We have been at this for about a month and he comes in today and says "this will be the last day I can work for the amount you are paying me, I have to make $1.50 more per hour to continue working". I told him not to come back next week. Any thoughts on this?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Employee that quit and works 1 day for me per week
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 03:28:27 PM »
 once they're fired. they're gone for good...you tried to help the fella out then he jabs you with "pay me or I'm done"....pfft, don't let the door hit ya
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 04:03:59 PM »
Sounds like you're saving enough to buy an extra beer every week. You don't need him.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 08:28:41 PM »
Sounds like you’re a nice guy so that’s causing this issue, but from the outside you need to remind yourself that you’re running a business and tell this guy to pick up another day with his new plumber boss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 01:40:40 PM »
once they're fired. they're gone for good...you tried to help the fella out then he jabs you with "pay me or I'm done"....pfft, don't let the door hit ya
agree. or if you quit without proper notice you can't come back either. i've had 2 employees try that.

had an employee who was with us for 2 months. after we trained him on how to make screens, came back to me and said oh i need to get paid $x because thats what this other guy who was making screens before me got paid. and i'm interviewing at these other 2 shops in the area.i told him, i wish you the best of luck in your interviews because you are no longer employed here.
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline LuxInks

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 04:54:58 PM »
I never re-hire if i've fired someone. Not under any circumstances.
www.luxinks.com
www.facebook.com/luxinks www.twitter.com/luxinks  Lux Inks 18900 Beach Blvd. Suite 110 Huntington Beach Calif. 92648 (949) 200.2923 
custom screen printing,contract screen printing,water base printing,discharge printing,flock,foil,apparel finishing,t-shirt printing

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 07:58:46 AM »
I have one guy I have rehired, but he wasn't fired, he left to use some of his other skills to make more money, for his family. When that type of business went south, and he needed work, we took him back because he already had the skills, knew the job, and the rest, and we had just lost a screen maker, so it worked out. A different scenario for sure. You are too nice, me too, it can bite you in the ass real hard sometimes...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't