Author Topic: Quick question on discharge white  (Read 4269 times)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Quick question on discharge white
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 05:35:51 PM »
  If there is excessive cracking you aren't penetrating enough.  If you can see ink down in between the jersey weave wales you're probably good to go.

We would mod CCI D-White out of the bucket for better flow, specifically penetrant and then equal parts distilled water to activator.

Zoo, based on the picture of the skull, is it normal to see some of the black between the weave as in my picture?  Or do I need more penetration?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 05:40:29 PM »
  If there is excessive cracking you aren't penetrating enough.  If you can see ink down in between the jersey weave wales you're probably good to go.

We would mod CCI D-White out of the bucket for better flow, specifically penetrant and then equal parts distilled water to activator.

Zoo, based on the picture of the skull, is it normal to see some of the black between the weave as in my picture?  Or do I need more penetration?

After washing that's normal.  If that's out the dryer in our shop, I'm pulling shirts and reprinting.   Best way to tell is a wash test.  That art really lends to a distressed feel though so I wouldn't stress the order if that's what you put out. 

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 07:31:04 PM »
That was after washing. 

I was hoping not to expect the discharge to bleach out fibers from the front all the way to the inside or I'd have to get my gorilla press out to push that discharge ink though harder, lol.

To recap, the bleaching occurs to the fiber fronts and stretching the image will/can show some of the unbleached, what I would call, side or back of the threads, right?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 08:38:34 PM »
If it looks consistent after wash yer all good. 

No, you don't need complete penetration.  How much you need depends on the fabric ultimately but as a rough gauge I like to see about 30-40% on ringspun cotton a la NL3600, AA2001, etc.  Half way is a good visual mark in general. 

And yeah it would not only be stressful to the press or the printer to 100% saturate but would soak the platens in waterbourne ink which is a headache of it's own.  If DC ink needed that much penetration I don't think it would be viable as an ink for constructed garments.

Offline Hey Monkey

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 12:00:48 AM »
Do 4% activator. Your print will come out brighter.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 12:06:05 PM »
I'll give it a try, tks

Offline rockerdude

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 10:26:10 PM »
Ok so I tried the d white mixed with the base... way to pinkish on the red American apparel.
So I went to T&J and picked up some Matsui
Super 75
Brite base
HM Base
Fixer N
Agent...

Did a test with a concoction that another local printer suggested... pinkish...
Tried super 75 straight from the bucket with Fixer N and agent.. Better but still not grab your attention white.
Going to meet with the client tomorrow to let them choose! lol
10-1 says they want the first print I did that cracked... It was the whitest yet.

Top red is ... D white/Base
Second red is... concoction..lol
Third red is ...  Straight Super 75 fixer N and agent ... print came out "FUZZY"?

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:34:13 PM by rockerdude »

Offline rockerdude

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 10:35:50 PM »
Here is the Concoction..

Super 75
Brite base - 1/3
HM Base - 5%
Fixer N - 3%
Agent - 5%

On a Black tee and Red I'm actually using.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:38:44 PM by rockerdude »

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 01:09:02 AM »
Red sort of sucks for discharge no matter what.  Even if you have it look good coming out of your shop, when someone washes it, the white will turn pinkish, just like washing a red shirt with white clothes.