Author Topic: Vastex V2000 side clamp print head or attachment  (Read 1410 times)

Offline domineight

• Verified/Junior
Vastex V2000 side clamp print head or attachment
« on: October 06, 2017, 08:45:50 PM »
Does anyone actually run the side clamp print head?

I'm curious about the rigidity of the system and if there's any deflection under regular pressure and normal use. I want to run 23X31" frames only and the back clamp alone was never up to it.

No problem with the rest of the press, I know exactly what they do and consider them an equal in the leading manual press manufacturers, but this component is a bit of a mystery.

Even if someone was running the side clamp attachment would give me an idea of how these presses handle that frame size.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 08:48:18 PM by domineight »

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
Re: Vastex V2000 side clamp print head or attachment
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 09:31:57 PM »
We use the side clamp attachments every so often. Usually when we run shirts on the auto and find a defective shirt we'll setup the 23x31s with the attachments once a replacement arrives. We have to move the pallets way out on the arms to accommodate the screen size and move the flash. I wouldn't want to use it for daily production. Maybe it's my short arms, but I find it annoying to reach so far down the big screen to place the squeegee at the back. The micros work normally. No deflection that I can see. It's a pretty solid setup. You do need to upgrade the gas lifter(s) to run it.

I don't think I'd like the side clamp print head so much. I like the adjustability the attachment offers. It can accommodate lots of frame sizes and configurations. It's saved me more than one screen where I accidentally burn a sleeve print the wrong way. The press op just puts the clamp adapter on and turns a square bar Newman upside down. Whacky but it works.

Offline domineight

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 10:00:09 PM »
Very good, thank you.

That was my next question too. When using the side lamps and 23x31" frames does the pallet adjustment end up in a weird unworkable setting?

I forget the exact size of the regular adult pallets. Something like 15x17" or so. These pallets don't end up a foot away from the edge of the frame so you end up putting your images 3 hand spaces away from the inside of the frame so it will work with the regular pallet? Or essentially a bunch of wasted space because the pallet doesn't move out on the arm far enough?

In the ideal world I like the edge of my frame overhanging the pallet an inch or so. Is that roughly doable with the regular adult Palletts , sleeve pallets etc?

Offline Hey Monkey

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 11:56:49 PM »
Does anyone actually run the side clamp print head?

I'm curious about the rigidity of the system and if there's any deflection under regular pressure and normal use. I want to run 23X31" frames only and the back clamp alone was never up to it.

Really? In what ways? I use 23x31 all the time (and larger) and I have never had an issue across my runs.

Offline domineight

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 12:36:32 AM »
I've bought and sold a V2000, I'd like another one.  Terrific press, but not for printing with 20X30" frames in the back clamp. It has the deflection and rigidity of a sandwich. A wet sandwich at that.

Offline domineight

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 12:42:09 AM »
Sorry I should probably expand.

I just like a solid stable platform. Minimal deflection and warp with the only real flex being the mesh when printing.

It's just what I like.

I'm just curious if the vastex side clamps offer that in their system. I assume it does I just want some reassuring or first hand experience.

I consider the M&R Chameleons sideclamps and rigidity about the best. If the Vastex clamps offer the same then I'm sold.

Offline Northland

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 09:40:21 AM »
I've bought and sold a V2000, I'd like another one.  Terrific press, but not for printing with 20X30" frames in the back clamp. It has the deflection and rigidity of a sandwich. A wet sandwich at that.
Do you currently own a V-2000?
If not and you are in the market for a new press with side clamps.... you may want to consider the M&R Kruzer.
It comes standard with side clamps and you can upgrade to 16x22 pallets for around $100.

Offline domineight

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 04:12:49 PM »
I've used a sidewinder with side clamps and the extended palett arms that come with it. If the Kruzer is anything like that it's definitely not the rigidity I'm looking for. The sidewinder (unless it's been modified) has quite severe palette deflection.

I'd look at a Chameleon because it has the rigidity. The V2000 enjoys the same stable rock solid platform, and I already own a bunch of Vastex stuff, flash, dryers, so the mismatch would play on my OCD.

I'm probably more a fan of the Vastex spring loaded micros too having experience with both.