Author Topic: Emulsion Which one?  (Read 8406 times)

Offline Redeemed

• Verified/Junior
Emulsion Which one?
« on: October 11, 2017, 06:13:07 PM »
I'm very new to all this but I'm learning a lot from this forum, thanks everyone! With that said I'm in the hunt for emulsion and trying to find what will work for me. I will most likely be using a UV Unfiltered Black light based Exposure unit (which I'm also in the hunt for) I know there are duel cure emulsions and photopolymers, duels seem to be easier for beginners but not to sure on that either! I have come across Three that seem they may be good, whats your thoughts? Oh will mostly be printing with Plastisol since I just bought the Rio Mixing system but wouldn't mind exploring with water base and discharge sometimes, thanks.

1. ChromaTech WR

2. Ryonet WBP Dual Cure Water Based Plastisol Hybrid Emulsion

3. ChromaLime
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:16:28 PM by Redeemed »

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Emulsion Which one?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 11:04:23 PM »
Since you listed a Ryonet product, I suggest you check out the Green Galaxy Cryocoat for WB, Plastisol, and Discharge.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 09:52:53 AM »
In the first place I worked, we used dual cure, but I've used nothing but pure photopolymers since opening my shop. Started with Ulano QTX, have used Saati Textil PV for years now. Single-step, no activation, long pot life, quick exposure times. Happy enough with this type to not put much energy into trying other options. (I may at some point, if I get around to proper evaluation of low-percentage dots or something like that. But haven't had real need to do so thus far.)
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Biverson

Emulsion Which one?
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 10:11:23 AM »
...have used Saati Textil PV for years now. Single-step, no activation, long pot life, quick exposure times. Happy enough with this type to not put much energy into trying other options. (I may at some point, if I get around to proper evaluation of low-percentage dots or something like that. But haven't had real need to do so thus far.)

Another shoutout for Saati. I use the PHU as it's good for water base too and have never tried anything else as it just works. Just got an LED unit and am more than happy with how my screens are exposing. The cryocoat from Ryonet is made by Saati, just a little thinner, from what I've heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brett - Pioneer Print Co.
www.idoshirts.com

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 10:36:39 AM »
Last year I switched to Saati PHU.
Expose with their LED panel.
I'm very happy with the results.
Expose between 30-90 sec, depending on screen count.
Wash out with a pressure gun.
We print water and plastisol without problems but I must say we put the screens in front on a big window to dry so they are all getting a post exposure from the sun.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 11:37:26 AM »
Murakami T9. You can print ANYTHING with it, no hardeners, no diazo, fast exposing. Print sim process to discharge prints with a post exposure. We use this and have printed runs up to 10k impressions discharge and ZERO breakdown issues. Can't beat the price either. Spot color supply sells it. If you use an led unit, you can expose 305T or 330S in 2 seconds, 230T in 4 seconds, 225-s in 3 seconds, 150S in 5 seconds, 180 S in 4 seconds. This is with a starlight as you know all led units are NOT equal, but these are our times on the mesh counts we currently use. Post expose in the sun or back on your unit for 30 seconds to 1 minute on the unit, or just stick in the sun ink side up. We NEVER have breakdown issues. Awesome stuff all the way around if you are looking for 1 emulsion. We coat on a M&R UniKote 1/1 sharp edge inside, round edge outside on speed 40 and have perfect eom for all of our print needs and the above exposure times. Contact Spot Color Supply, they may send you a sample.

We were using the Chroma Tech wr, it is just as good, but hard to find suppliers willing to stock it, and had some inconsistencies between pails, so that's a no go for me. You'll find the T9 with better pricing as well as a Murakami Rep right here on shirt board, Alan Buffington.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 11:56:24 AM »
I will most likely be using a UV Unfiltered Black light based Exposure unit (which I'm also in the hunt for)

best bet. CALL the SALES REPS. Kiwo. Ulano. Saati. etc. Walk them through YOUR shop and what YOU need. You'll get a million answers here that MIGHT work in another shop just fine asking such a broad Q.
TEST. It sucks.

ignoring what I said above - we tried a whole bunch of things trying to get emulsion to be even HALF friendly when we didn't have the space and cash to do it right (flo tubes is NOT doing it right, but CAN be a semi functional step in the right direction - you NEED point source or LED ASAP.)
When we were on flo tubes, Ulano's ProClaim was hands down the winner. You CANNOT get a full expo with tubes, full stop. And UNDERexposed emulsion causes all sorts of headaches, starting with reclaim. ProClaim's claim to fame is that it is EASY to reclaim, even if under exposed. which you will be. did i say that yet? It's a dual cure. Add the diazo. Makes it even SLOWER to expose. but you take the bad with everything else. as usual YMMV - call the sales reps.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 02:45:27 PM »
As much as I would like to use Murakami emulsions I found applying the same recycling procedure, remove emulsion, but no degreasing, we got a lot of fisheyes compared to using Chromaline emulsions. I really wanted to use Aquasol TS but the amount of fisheyes we had compared to the Chromablue was incredible.

Currently we use

Chroma Lime

ImageMate DZ 343 for waterbased inks

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 03:10:57 PM »
don't get stuck on brands, buy what's local to do. They all pretty much the same thing.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 03:29:39 PM »
Ulano Blue is my go to right now. One of the only emulsions I don't need to put baby powder on to prevent my films from sticking to it. Comes in at $40 per gallon when you buy a 5 gallon so I'm all for that as well.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 04:06:35 PM »
Ulano Blue is my go to right now. One of the only emulsions I don't need to put baby powder on to prevent my films from sticking to it. Comes in at $40 per gallon when you buy a 5 gallon so I'm all for that as well.

I'm guessing you are only plastisol.  According to the Union spec sheet -

BLUE is a ready-to-use, extremely-fast-exposing SBQ-photopolymer direct emulsion formulated for imprinted sportswear printing. It resists plastisol inks—including newer, more aggressive, post-phthalate plastisols—and most washup solvents, making it exceptionally easy to reclaim in automatic equipment or by hand.

I think "Redeemed" was going to explore waterbase and discharge too.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 08:46:23 PM »
Ah my fault, long day I missed that part. I liked cryocoat for discharge, but the last batch I had broke down after 25-30 prints. It was never an issue and I didn't do anything differently so I'm not sure what the issue was.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 09:08:33 PM »
Hmmmm, I have only been doing some test runs with Discharge and Cryocoat.  Nothing over a dozen yet so who knows, I may sour on it down the road.  Thanks.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 12:43:27 AM »
... And UNDERexposed emulsion causes all sorts of headaches, starting with reclaim. ....

Post expose will help with this. I got in the habit of post-exposing specifically to address reclaim, back when we were using a flo tube box. I think it's a good practice in general, because it can seemingly only do good for your stencils.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline XG Print

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 08:39:34 AM »
We have really been liking the CCI Pro-Chem VPR emulsion.  We have been using it a few months now and really like it.  We have had way less pin hole issues than we had with the Saati stuff.  Pretty easy on the wallet as well.